In Which Direction Should I Grout Walls - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 105

In which direction should I grout walls

Hello,

In which direction should I grout walls: from a floor up to a ceiling or from a ceiling down to a floor? Is there a way to prevent grout from falling down to a floor while I am spreading it on a wall?

Thnks.
sukhenkoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
In which direction should I grout walls: from a floor up to a ceiling or from a ceiling down to a floor?
I think it is best to start at the top. If you clean as you go then you only have to clean once (basically). This is not to say only one cleaning is necessary.

Quote:
Is there a way to prevent grout from falling down to a floor while I am spreading it on a wall?
Not really, this is why you start at the top.
If you were to use a hawk it keeps things a little cleaner because you can slide the grout from the hawk to the joint and not have a huge mess.

You can also "bag" (using a grout bag) the grout then press it in the joint with a grout float. You will still drop some grout on the floor. Just don't leave it there too long.
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #3

Bud,

Thanks a lot. Unfortunately, I did not check my post and, as a result, did not see your answer before I started grouting yesterday. So, I started from bottom going up. But it is ok. I can change direction at any time.
The biggest problem I ran into yesterday was grout itself. I mixed it with water exactly according to the instruction on the bag, waited 10 minutes and re-mixed it. But grout was too dry. When I started applying grout, most of it did not stick between tiles and was falling down in small wads. I tried again and again to push it between tiles, but it did not work very well. I wasted 20 minutes and a lot of grout before I decided to add some water. I know it was not a good idea because 'they' say don't add water to mixed grout, but I wanted to try. After I added a little water to grout it became more flexible and more sticky and I was able to apply rest of grout quickly and without any problem.

Now I concern, to which consistency should I mix grout with water to be able to apply it without wasting most of it?

One thing I wanted to add. Instructions on the bag applies to the whole bag, but I mixed just small portion of it. Can it be the reason for grout to dry so fast so it is already too dry before I even started applying it?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

I mix it to the consistency of a thick mustard--
Old 06-30-2011, 09:47 AM   #5

Thanks a lot again. Now I know why I had trouble yesterday. I mixed it exactly according with instructions and it was very thick and dry to apply it on walls. It could work for a floor, but not for walls.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:35 AM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

When I tiled my shower I separated the bag of grout into four separate big zip-loc bags. Then I mixed one bag at a time, using 1/4 of the water listed on the original bag.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

You're fine. Not to worry. Mix it so it works for you.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #8

Yesterday, when I mixed the grout, I added a little more water and it worked just fine for me. Now I know to which consistency I need to mix it.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
Retired Moderator

It's a learning curve----unsanded tends to thicken up as it slakes.(sits for a few minutes)

Knowing the way the grout behaves takes experience.

On a big job the same worker usually does all the mixing of thinset and grout---Keeps the mix more consistent that way.---Mike----
Old 07-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
It's a learning curve----unsanded tends to thicken up as it slakes.(sits for a few minutes)
Yes, this is exactly that I noticed.
After I mixed and applied unsanded grout already 5 times during last 3 days I learned to which consistency I need to mix it and how to apply it in order to prevent most of it falling down from walls during grouting.

Thanks again,
Igor
Old 07-03-2011, 06:05 AM   #11
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhenkoi View Post
Yes, this is exactly that I noticed.
After I mixed and applied unsanded grout already 5 times during last 3 days I learned to which consistency I need to mix it and how to apply it in order to prevent most of it falling down from walls during grouting.

Thanks again,
Igor

Now you understand a little better,just how difficult it can be for us to give instructions over the internet.
Advertisement