Definitive Shower Remodel Wall Construction/Prep - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Definitive Shower Remodel Wall Construction/Prep

I have a builder-grade marble tile shower with plastic pan, and the adjacent wall surrounds that I would like to remodel. I'd be taking out the marble tile and the pan, as well as the added thickness of (green?) sheetrock that seems to be immediately under the marble tile. Maybe I'd take it all the way down through the base drywall to the studs, if appropriate. My shower is on all-interior walls, and directly on the slab foundation.

Is there a definitive guide to constructing and prepping walls for a shower? I've searched this forum, and have turned up about as many variations as there are posts, e.g. hardibacker/no hardibacker, membrane (nail it/don't nail it), green sheetrock, cover the lip of the shower pan/don't cover the lip of the shower pan, etc...

I want to put in a single piece, solid stone (marble or quartz) pan, so I would rather this be a "40 year" shower, rather than a "15 year" shower (as one poster on here put it), so having a good resource for proper shower building would be invaluable. I thought info like this may be in a sticky somewhere, or at least a wall cross-section illustrating the various layers, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Seems like everyone has their own way of doing things, but what is right?

I would tend to follow the manufacturer's installation instructions for the pan (although some seem to thumb their nose at manufacturer info), so maybe my question comes down to wall construction and treatment.

I'm hoping someone can point me to a link, or some building code site that details this type of construction.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by DBB1959; 02-15-2015 at 09:46 PM.
DBB1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 06:46 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

The definitive book on shower building is the TCNA manual---(tile council of north America)

Unfortunately ,this must be purchased and is not available on line---
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 07:05 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 454

I would follow the manufacturers instructions. it might seem like over kill but my opinion is there isn't over kill when it comes to water
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
The definitive book on shower building is the TCNA manual---(tile council of north America)

Unfortunately ,this must be purchased and is not available on line---
Sounds like a good investment to me. I'll see if I can locate a copy. This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to be pointed to.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottktmrider View Post
I would follow the manufacturers instructions. it might seem like over kill but my opinion is there isn't over kill when it comes to water
I agree 100%. But as great as these forums are (they've helped me out more times than I can remember), you really see a bit of everything, to the point of not knowing what's right.

I usually take a lot of this info and use it as a starting point, then research the hell out of it, which is why my projects are sometimes slow to start, much to the dismay of my wife...

Thanks for the reply!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement