Cutting Around Existing Sink/vanity - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2014, 02:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Cutting around existing sink/vanity

Hi all, I hope someone can help me.

I have to build a very small vanity in a tight space and around an existing sink. I have the wood I will use as a counter but I'm struggling to figure out how to mark the sink on it. I'd rather not take the sink off the wall to use to draw round. And trial and error with a cardboard template would be a pain in the pooper. I'm sure there's a simpler way than that that has been used for years but I've never known about.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jj
Jjscelerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,472

New top will have to be dropped from top so you will have to measure for widest opening. This may leave gaps if the sink narrows.
One way for a template would be a cardboard cut about an inch away from walls and the sink. You need to keep this from moving around. May be thicker cardboard base, then tape the template to the base. Then you make a scriber with a pointed end. Keeping the scriber square, you draw the line on the template then transfer the line to a final template. The final cut line would include the length of your scriber.
I did not give you an accurate how to. Youtube has videos of this. Search for countertop inside scribing or such.

I would warn you about home made wood countertop for wet areas and how all caulk will fail with time.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 270

In my 2nd bathroom,I had 27" to work with for a sink install. I bought a very small sink with integral top-and cut it down an inch or so narrower.[Couldn't have cost very much] Then built a vanity to fit under it. No round or oval cut needed,and a lot better than a wooden top.
flhtcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement