Custom Shower Build Questions - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
Solutions (handyman)

Rewards Points: 462

Custom shower build questions

We are renovating a cabin with a small bathroom and the client would like a larger shower. Currently, it has a plastic/vinyl 32" x 32" shower that the client wants removed. The distance from one wall to the other is 54", and the width/depth cannot exceed 34". One idea is to build a walk-in shower. Is there a regulation shower width and/or depth? The end result would be a tiled shower on three walls and the base would be water tight with tiles on top of a proper base. Suggestion would be appreciated.
Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,624

Re: Custom shower build questions

Locate a fiberglas pan that will fit the width and depth needed, relocate the drain as needed and install CBU on the stud walls on three sides and tile the walls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,458

Re: Custom shower build questions

Not a pro and don't know any limitation set by a code. Any smaller than 32, average adult would feel cramped and shower curtain could constantly stick to the person.
Why do you say 34? Is this because of toilet? In nj and I fit a shower base and toilet side by side. If I had followed the imaginary wall set by the toilet code (15" on either side of the center), no room for shower. But I fudged that it's 15" from the toilet seat level and at the feet level, nobody would need 15". So the shower base encroached few inches into this 15" space that would never interfere with movements. It was a plastic base with the corner chopped off? Above, diy copper tube curtain rod high enough for extra tall curtain. Passed the inspection although I wasn't sure until passed.

There is also curtains made with a fabric, not a plastic sheet. Wash it several times in hot water and it loses the water proofing coating. When the curtain gets wet, it stops blowing in and sticking to me.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement