Custom Kitchen Boxes Built, Drawer Glide Suggestion - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Custom Kitchen Boxes Built, Drawer Glide Suggestion

This website has been amazing in helping with the process. The summary... I tend to ramble so I'll try to keep it brief. (Pics will be in next follow up post... couldn't get them to post in same message)

We bought the house. I'm doing as much of the work as I can, paying the pros when need be. Kitchen was moved 15 feet and ceiling was vaulted. Based on new location, layout and desired placement of appliances all cabinetry had to be custom. Not having an extra $30K?? around.... off I went

All the lower boxes (carcass) have been built. Frameless style. Boxes will be resting on ladders that will be held up by adjustable feet. (The feet will be attached directly to ladder as the floor is up to 3/4" off... but has been assessed by structural engineer as sound concrete slab. The feet are rated at 600# for a set of 4. Eventually we will have quartz tops, so I'll make sure there are plenty of feet for support)

In the pics the cabinets still have to be removed so that the laminate flooring can be cut/removed underneath so leveling feet will be in touch with concrete floor. Brackets will then be used to anchor ladder to floor and walls. Final 3/4" trim piece attached to kick plate will hide the raw laminate edge from the cut.

I would like to use soft close slides. Unfortunately the boxes are somewhat out of square. Measuring vertically over 30" I may be off by 1/8" to 1/4". Originally I was planning on using side mount slides, but given the 3D nature of possible cabinet torque... I'm thinking bottom mount would be better. Saltice seems to make an awesome 6 way adjustable drawer alignment system. Any other suggestions for an easy to use system for such a situation?

My concern might be the durability/strength. Please see close up for my construction method... cabinets are solid quality 3/4" ply (from plywood company not big box store). Cabinets are glued and screwed. A 3/4" strip of poplar was pin nailed and glued to the front. All cabinets will be painted white. Given my construction method (no dado joints)... the middle shelf (which will hold the weight of the bottom mount slides) is only supported by glue, brads and screws. There are probably a minimum of 8 screws into each middle shelf... 3 on each side and 2 from the back.

This should be sturdy enough to support the weight of the drawer and contents correct? The drawers that will hold all the dishes will probably be side mounts for strength. I purchased some Fulterer slides rated at 200# for those drawers and will probably have to shim out the slide mechanism some from the cabinet wall if its too far out of square.

I would greatly appreciate any feedback and suggestions

Last edited by jkaszer; 03-07-2016 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo
jkaszer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2016, 12:47 PM   #2

pics

as attachments
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Kitchen Boxes Built, Drawer Glide Suggestion-cabinet_construction_close_up.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #3

the rest

attached
Attached Thumbnails
Custom Kitchen Boxes Built, Drawer Glide Suggestion-kitchen1.jpg   Custom Kitchen Boxes Built, Drawer Glide Suggestion-kitchen2.jpg   Custom Kitchen Boxes Built, Drawer Glide Suggestion-kitchen3.jpg   Custom Kitchen Boxes Built, Drawer Glide Suggestion-kitchen4.jpg   Custom Kitchen Boxes Built, Drawer Glide Suggestion-kitchen5.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cabinets , custom , level , rack , slides