Cultured Marble Countertop Quality Question - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2014, 08:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cultured Marble Countertop Quality Question

I ordered a 100" cultured marble vanity with 2 built-in sinks and it was installed last week. The top is cupped up in the middle, especially at the left end. The marble company is saying that some of this is normal. If I put a straight edge on the left end and hold down the straight edge on the front edge, there is a 5/8" to 3/4" gap in the back. See picture. I think this is poor quality. Any advice or opinions?
Attached Thumbnails
Cultured Marble Countertop Quality Question-countertop.jpg  
WestEast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 996

looks to me that you don't have the level "level"
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 11:16 AM   #3

I am not concerned right now with how level the surface is only is the surface "flat", that's the problem. I was just using a level instead of a straight edge. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEast View Post
I am not concerned right now with how level the surface is only is the surface "flat", that's the problem. I was just using a level instead of a straight edge. Thanks for the suggestion though.
yeah, well, your not holding the level "flat" to the surface. so how are we to tell.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #5

ok, now i see your LITTLE words "pressed down". and i think i see your concern.
looks just fine to me. though there may be a little water run off problem.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 38

Quote:
If I put a straight edge on the left end and hold down the straight edge on the front edge, there is a 5/8" to 3/4" gap in the back. See picture. I think this is poor quality. Any advice or opinions?
A cultured marble top is generally 3/4" to 1" thick. If you have that much of a gap when leveling the the top, the level of the cabinet underneath is suspect. I would put the level on the cabinet and check that. Vanity cabinets are often not installed and leveled correctly.
SHR Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:32 PM   #7

Clarification

The top is 1-1/2" thick, assume the cabinet and center of the countertop (level placed back to front) is level. The problem is the top is cupped front to back (with a rise in the middle). In other words the countertop slopes down in the front and back from the center of the countertop.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #8

Quote:
The top is 1-1/2" thick, assume the cabinet and center of the countertop (level placed back to front) is level. The problem is the top is cupped front to back (with a rise in the middle). In other words the countertop slopes down in the front and back from the center of the countertop.
If that is the problem then return the top to the retailer and get a new one. In your photo though you are not holding the level level. From the looks of the bubble, the top does not look bad. That said though, tops with bows in them are never acceptable. I have installed literally hundreds of cultured marble tops and have had great relationships with many manufacturers and no reputable manufacturer is not going to stand behind their product. They probably will not reimburse for labor though.

Last edited by SHR Plumber; 03-09-2014 at 02:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SHR Plumber For This Useful Post:
WestEast (03-09-2014)
Old 03-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #9

That was my feeling. I was using the word cupped, like in lumber, but the better word is bowed. I was expecting a flat surface like with a granite or laminate top. I did but a level on the left side, and the front edge drops down 1/4" below level. The center and back of the top along this line are level. It is not like this along the entire front edge, only the left side for about 18". I can see it when I stand back. My question is am I being too picky?
Old 03-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 272

Quote:
It is not like this along the entire front edge, only the left side for about 18". I can see it when I stand back. My question is am I being too picky?
I know I wouldn't want it. You're either going to have water running on the floor or puddled against the back splash (or both).
Old 03-09-2014, 08:24 PM   #11

Return it for another or you will notice it every time you are in that bathroom and it will drive you crazy. If it has a noticeable droop it is unacceptable unless it was sold to you as a "second" or damaged top.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:54 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 12

I agree...i think you should return it...it's a defect i guess...
atun willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement