Cracks In Shower Tile Grout (new Shower) - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2016, 08:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Cracks in shower tile grout (new shower)

Hello everyone,

My wife and I recently purchased our first home. The master bathroom had been completely remodeled and a brand new, large tile shower had been installed. The shower was probably installed 4-5 months ago and we have been living in the house for the past month (no one was living in the house while it was on the market).

Today I saw there is a moderate crack in the grout on the shower wall that appears to be stemming from the corner. I did some research online and it looks like it is sanded grout and the corners were caulked.

I read a few articles and watched a video on how to remove the grout and regrout the cracked area and caulk the corner; however, with such a new install, why do you think it would have cracked? Is it anything that I should be concerned with? It appears to be isolated just to this one small portion of the shower.

Also, it feels pretty brittle, I can remove pieces with my fingernail. I'm not sure if that means anything or not - not enough water in the grout mix when it was placed the first time?

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by chazell29; 12-22-2016 at 08:32 PM.
chazell29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Re: Cracks in shower tile grout (new shower)

Hi,

If that is caulk, I'd say there's a lot of shrinkage or movement going on. Unless you can tell me exactly how it was done and/or have pics of work in progress, I can only guess why.

My first guess would be low bidder who isn't worried about doing a first class job. But who knows.

Now let's look at the discoloration. Looks like there may be drywall and mastic back there. Do you have any idea, is there an access panel to the shower valve? Any left over supplies that would tell you what was used?

You didn't finish your profile telling where you're located. The weather has a lot to do with some of these things. So, temps there, type of heat source, do you have a humidifier and has it being working correctly and what's the outdoor temp & indoor humidity % right now? Just to get an idea.......

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2016, 09:42 PM   #3

Thank you very much for the informative reply. It is sanded grout on the walls between the tiles and caulk in the corners between tiles.

Since this is my first house I'm still learning a lot - there is a small access compartment in the adjacent bedroom closet that I believe has some plumbing related stuff in it but I'm not sure what it goes to.

I do not have any left over materials or pictures of the work in progress - the seller was a pain so they won't have any of that info for me. I have no idea what it looked like before and how the work was performed.

I live in Orange County, CA. We did just have a recent cold/dry spell where temps dropped into the low 30s at night and it was very dry. Temps have been averaging in the 60s during the day whereas it was probably in the 70-80s when the work was done over the summer. Also, since we've been living in it for the last month, we've been running the gas furnace a lot as It's been cold out. Since no one had been living in the house, no one had been running the furnace, so it's probably warmer (and maybe dryer inside?) from the furnace.

I'm not sure if that helps or not, but please let me know! And at this point, is removing the damaged grout and caulk and replacing it the best course of action? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2016, 10:06 PM   #4
Tileguy

Yes, removing the caulk and redoing it is best. In a pinch some people just caulk over the old which might not be that bad an idea for you since it's so new and if you can get the same color sanded grout it'll blend in well. But I guess you don't know the brand or color. So you decide. Now or later.

Did you get a warranty with the house? Probably won't help though, since if I'm right about how it was done (due to the staining) the failure hasn't happened yet. Hope it doesn't...fingers crossed.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
Old 12-22-2016, 10:16 PM   #5

Yes I did get a home warranty. What part are you referring to that is stained? The lower left corner? What is that indicative of?
Old 12-23-2016, 10:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,054

Do any of the tiles sound different if you tap on them with something wooden or your knuckles? Is there any cracking in the ceiling above that area?
clarenceboddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

I'll check when I get home for different sounds. The crack goes from the grout between the tiles to the corner, runs up the caulk in the corner about a 12-18 inches, then stops. I did notice some cracks in the caulk on the very top of the shower where the tiles meet with the ceiling. The cracks on top are pretty much isolated to the area above this corner.

I can send pictures tonight after work.
Old 12-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #8
Tileguy

I hadn't seen the horizontal cracks with the other browser I was using. That's not good.

The stain probably indicates what I mentioned before. Mold & that you probably have drywall and mastic back there, and it's wet. What did you find when you looked at the backside after you removed the access panel?

Jaz

Old 12-23-2016, 11:58 AM   #9

I didn't look at the access area because I didn't know what to check for. What should I be looking for?

Also, I didn't know what mastic was. I just looked it up and basically what I got from it is that it's great for tile such as kitchen backslashes but bad for shower areas and you should use thinset. But since they just wanted to make the shower look nice they probably used mastic instead of thinset because it's quicker.

I was reading another website too and I had notice a small amount of white soap scum looking stuff in the floor along the area where he shower door is. I thought it was soap until I read about Efflorescence, which is what I think it might be - which I read is the shower pan failing.

I'm really frustrated because I'm afraid I'm going to have to rip out my brand new shower and I don't have the money to do that right now ?
Old 12-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #10
Tileguy

I think you are correct on all counts. Sorry, That's why I asked about a warranty. I don't know if you can get anything done just because it's not done right, not according to industry standards, instructions or codes. Probably would cost you too much to find out, cuz lawyers charge lots of $$$ to remedy this. Let me add this so far is my educated guess based on experience.

So, you have no clue who did the work and the old owner won't help you? Maybe a lawyer can get something done? You may just have to wait and see what happens, but yes, caulk/grout where needed for sure.

How about another pic from further back.

Jaz

Old 12-23-2016, 12:32 PM   #11

Okay, thank you so much for the help, I obviously know nothing about this kind of stuff. I will post some more pictures tonight when I get home.
Old 12-24-2016, 12:27 AM   #12

Okay so I didn't notice any unusual sounds knocking on the tiles. I checked the access in the spare bedroom closet and that actually goes to the tub in the second bathroom. I checked in the second bathroom, as this is adjacent to the master bathroom, and just found this cap looking thing on the wall that I would assume goes to my master shower. That's all.

I attached more pictures of the corner in question.

Overall of shower...sorry I don't know why it got rotated

Area of cracking, again, not sure why the picture got rotated

Cracking along ceiling in problem corner of shower

It is grout that joins the tiles and the ceiling, which I've been reading online it should have been caulk. I'm not sure if this could have caused the crack to move down the corner and then horizontally between tiles where the grout was weak.

My plan is to recaulk over the corner, remove the grout from the ceiling joint and horizontal crack, replace the ceiling joint with caulk and regrout the horizontal crack. =/

Last edited by chazell29; 12-24-2016 at 12:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement