Cracking Drywall By Tub - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Question

Cracking drywall by tub

We had a bathroom addition added to our home and the drywall around the tub and shower are already starting to fall apart. I know the contractor used green board in the bathroom but not sure about the rest. All i know is these us a crack around the tub and there is paint and drywall coming off. I was told by others that tile or something else should have been placed where water is. The contractor told me that he used water resistant paint. I m not very handy around the house, but I know that there should have at least been caulking around the tub correct? Again, I'm not handy around the house so I could really use some help guys.

Thanks!
vgentry83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #2

Here are a few pictures

https://goo.gl/photos/4h2F97idwBRqd28Q9
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2015, 09:37 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 276

You have to protect the wall around the tub from water. Paint will not do it. Are my eyes deceiving me or does that one pic show an electrical outlet right next to the tub?

Start with reviewing you contract to see what the scope of work was. Bathroom looks nice but it wont be functional or last long the way it is constructed.

Who had the idea to put wood flooring in a bathroom, or is that the tile made to look like wood?

Last edited by ZTMAN; 11-24-2015 at 09:41 AM.
ZTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,890

Hard to tell much from those pictures.
Drywall should have been held up off the top of the tub by about 1/4" and then caulking to fill the gap.
If it's in direct contact water can wick up the wall.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:49 AM   #5

LOL! it's not an electrical outlet by the tub its a whirlpool tub and it is just a reset button in case the motor trips.

The floors are a laminate that looks like hardwood.

Tell me what I need to tell the contractor to do to fix the drywall? I haven't finished paying him yet
Old 11-24-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgentry83
Tell me what I need to tell the contractor to do to fix the drywall? I haven't finished paying him yet
Even though that's just a tub with no shower, the bottom areas of the walls will get wet from normal use, and should be tiled at minimum. Tiles alone do not make the walls waterproof though, but will get you about 80% there in this case.

Greenboard is useless in that application and isn't much better than regular drywall. Contractors that brag about it, are feeding you a bunch of bull.........!

Water resistant paint huh?

Laminate in a full bath? Not a good plan there either.

Can you go into more detail concerning the other work done and how it was done?

That's a very cut-up area. so consider small tiles at least 12" or so up the walls.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #7

We added an addition to our home and it done cheaply by the contractor.

We were told that the floors were what he called "Luxury vinyl" and that they were water proof. They have a 30 year warranty.

We were told that by the contractor that greenboard was used in wet areas such as the bathroom and that it was water resistant. We were told that the paint was water proof as it had a sealer in it.

I went to use the bathtub the other day and afterwards I started seeing the drywall crack and crumble, and the paint coming off. I don't know what to do as I am not a very handy person around the house.

Jaz i'm just going off of what was told told by the contractor. If you can tell me what I need to tell him to fix then that would be great!
Old 11-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #8
Tileguy

OK, the floor is vinyl, not laminate. Vinyl should be ok if you don't spill water. Got kids?

The 30 year warranty and $2 will buy you a coffee at some places.

Keep your Q's about this room in one thread, otherwise I'm gonna get confused.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
Old 11-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 62

Green Board drywall is water RESISTANT, not WATER PROOF. NO finish paint is water proof. Your "contractor" should have used a water proofing over the green board, sealed the joint at the tub with a 100% industrial silicone caulk, then painted it with enamel. This will work for TUB ONLY. If there is a shower, it won't work at all. If it has a shower the fix is to tear it all out and do it right. He can go back with green board raised 1/4"-3/8" off of the tub, give it two coats of water proofing like Red Gard, then use a water proof mastic to apply a ceramic or porcelain tile. I'd avoid the plastic enclosures as they don't last long. I'd also suggest using a good grade of 100% silicone caulk at the tub/tile joint like GE All Purpose 100% Silicone Caulk. Frankly, since this guy has really screwed this up this bad, I'd have a professional tile guy come in and do the surround and let "contractor guy" pay for it. I think at this point, this job exceeds his pay grade.
Trapper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:25 PM   #10
Tileguy

Hi Trapper,

I see you're new here, welcome. Hows about you tell everyone a little about yourself and what experience you have in this trade? Any licenses in the trades?

Green Board isn't even water resistant, it's moisture resistant. Originally it was called MR-Board for that reason.

What waterproofing do you suggest for over GB or reg. drywall?

Do they now make a special Redgard for over drywall?

Waterproof mastic you say?

Jaz

Old 11-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 107

Jazz gives excellent advice. If I lived in his area I would hire him in a flash for any tilting or floor work. I would take his advice any day.

That being said., I assume you have a written contract. What fishing materials did the contract call for or what allowances are its made for finish materials? When I had my bathroom done, I made sure every aspect of the job was included, cast iron tub of a certain quality, one piece vanity top, 6 Inc square tile surround, 12 sq floor tile, layed in a diagonal pattern , molding materials, fan/lighting etc. The contractor added the other stuff, like demo, required electrical and plumbing changes to meet code, insulation wall materials, sub floor materials and construction and permits and inspections. There really should be nothing left to chance in a home improvement contract. I don't think your contractor has every built a bathroom before. he has absolutely no clue how to do it. Green board is not a finish material around a tub or shower. It would be ok in the rest of the bathroom. If you have to tell a contractor how to do his work, you hired the wrong contractor. I would make sure this guy is paid for what he did and hire someone who knows what they are doing. . If the solution is tile, tiling done by a pro looks great, done by hack, well it looks like it's done by a hack.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimn01 For This Useful Post:
JazMan (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 05:50 PM   #12
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimn01
Jazz gives excellent advice. If I lived in his area I would hire him in a flash for any tilting or floor work. I would take his advice any day.
Have tools.............will travel.

No wait...... I'm spossed to be retired.

Jaz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement