Cracking Chalk Behind Sink / Peeling Paint - Recommendation For Lasting Repair (PICS) - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ZTMAN

Old 11-16-2017, 10:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 238

Cracking Chalk behind sink / peeling paint - Recommendation for lasting repair (PICS)

Morning all. I had a kitchen remodel last year. We had lowered our window over the sink so my wife (shorty, lol) can see out. I knew when doing it we would be able to have backsplash and only the window molding. Now about a year later the chalk is cracking (probably from some settling) and the paint on the trim is peeling. I want to tackle this before it gets worse with water damage. We do our best not to have sitting water behind the faucet but it's hard. Any event looking for:
1) Recommendations on a Chalk to use to seal the trim, I plan to scrape out as much as I can and rechalk.
2) Anything to do to prep the trim a little better so the paint doesn't peel?

Thanks, see attached PICS.
Attached Thumbnails
Cracking Chalk behind sink / peeling paint - Recommendation for lasting repair (PICS)-img_1419.jpg   Cracking Chalk behind sink / peeling paint - Recommendation for lasting repair (PICS)-img_1417.jpg   Cracking Chalk behind sink / peeling paint - Recommendation for lasting repair (PICS)-img_1418.jpg  
nutshellml is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 11:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 282

Re: Cracking Chalk behind sink / peeling paint - Recommendation for lasting repair (P

Based on your current conditions, I think the best you can do is sand the loose areas, prime and paint , and then apply a bead of silicone caulk. You should be able to get a caulk color pretty close to the color your trim.

We had the same issue with caulk cracking because the contractor was using some hybrid silicone caulk. The third call back, they used silicone and no cracking since.

When using the sink for awhile,such as cleaning up after dinner, I make my wife throw a rag behind the faucet. She seems to always splash water up there for some reason.
nutshellml (11-16-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,426

Re: Cracking Chalk behind sink / peeling paint - Recommendation for lasting repair (P

If you use silicone caulk be sure to sand and paint the peeled area first. Paint doesn't like to adhere to silicone caulking.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mark sr For This Useful Post:
nutshellml (11-16-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 04:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 238

Question - When you say, Silicone / Hybrid Chalk / Chalk can you specify what would be best. In the past I've used DAP Caulk white. What would you recommend that is not a "hybrid".
THANKS!
nutshellml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 06:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 282

kitchen and bath 100% silicone caulk
mark sr likes this.
nutshellml (11-16-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 09:42 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 104

Caulk will sort that out. Looks like they didn't even caulk it before?! At least not entirely. White caulk will let you see when it pulls away. When the wood is painted it will effectively be waterproof. And caulk is waterproof. So once you get the caulk in there nicely applied, you'll be good to go and ought not to have to fret excessively over wiping up the water all the time. I've found that painted wood even up against the edge of a shower withstands water surprisingly well as long as caulk keeps that water from getting in behind it. We even have drywall come right up against some constantly wetted shower areas and the paint on the drywall plus caulk seam has kept it in good shape now for 10 years of heavy use.
Skoorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement