Could I Simply Drill Holes Into The Flange Of My Under-mount Sink And Screw That.... - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By steppinthrax
  • 2 Post By paul100

Old 09-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 240

Could I simply drill holes into the flange of my under-mount sink and screw that....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarius-0-R...sAAOSwAvJXB0II

That's the sink I'm looking to get. I have a 30 inch sink cabinet. However the actual opening is 28.5. The seller told me that the sink clips add another inch on both sides. So I'm thinking of ditching the clips and simple screwing the flange into the underside of my counter-top. I'm going to be doing a butcher block.

In my eyes I don't see anything that would be an issue. I would carefully drill holes into the flange in equal distant locations and use pan-head 1" wood screws and silicone around the opening. It would never show up once it's done?
steppinthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,050

Re: Could I simply drill holes into the flange of my under-mount sink and screw that.

I think you should be fine.......

(But as sheetmetal can expand slightly (and would be able to slip/adjust under a sink clip) you might want to over size drill the screw holes and use a washer... that would allow a little shifting and avoid any thin sheet metal creasing)

But I would certainly do it.... Can you get a screw driver and drill in there?

(PS.... Looks like a good buy to me.)

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 09-29-2016 at 04:10 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 240

Re: Could I simply drill holes into the flange of my under-mount sink and screw that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
I think you should be fine.......

(But as sheetmetal can expand slightly (and would be able to slip/adjust under a sink clip) you might want to over size drill the screw holes and use a washer... that would allow a little shifting and avoid any thin sheet metal creasing)

But I would certainly do it.... Can you get a screw driver and drill in there?
Not sure, don't have the sink yet. But I will just use a really long bit. It's a new kitchen remodel, with counter-top. So if it comes down to it I will simply flip the counter-top over and mount it.
MTN REMODEL LLC likes this.
steppinthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 7,206

I must be missing something. The link I clicked on showed a 16" x 26" sink, plus 1" flange all around.
Opening should be 16" x 26", right ? (we can debate if it should be an eighth inch bigger or smaller). The flange is 28" wide. How does that fit under a 28.5" hole ?

Edit: OK, got it. not the hole, the distance between inside faces of the cabinet is 28.5"

Just that stainless steel is going to be a pain to drill through.

Last edited by SPS-1; 09-29-2016 at 07:32 PM.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:52 AM   #5
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,274

Drilling stainless is not a problem.

Use a split point 3/16" drill bit for #8 screws.
Just don't wind up the speed too fast and it will drill easy.
Drill bits made of standard high speed steel work fine.

Pre drill the butcher block with a 1/8" pilot hole or you will snap off the screws.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:03 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,808

I suggest that you wait until you get the sink to decide what you are going to do.

Specs say that the sink is 28" wide. Granted you will need additional space for the clips on the side. You will probably use one clip in the center of each side. I suggest that you simply notch the top edge of the cabinet sides at that location. I would probably make a 1 1/2" by 1 1/2" notch at each side clip location. I would use a hex head screw. I would use hex head screws for all clips.
If you ever have to remove the sink you won't be able to access the screws for the side clips from inside the sink cabinet but you will be able to access them from the adjoining cabinet.
Usually one of the adjoining cabinets is the dishwasher opening. You would be able to remove the screws for the side clips using a small wrench or even a ratchet and socket.

Easier too.
hkstroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 112

I have an easier way instead of using clips or screws. Mount the sink in the cabinet using wood rails. Make sure the sink is in the exact location of your top cut out. Apply a bead of silicone over the flange then lay your top on it. The company that does our tops uses this method for all of out granite top installs.
SPS-1 and MTN REMODEL LLC like this.
paul100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #8
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul100 View Post
I have an easier way instead of using clips or screws. Mount the sink in the cabinet using wood rails. Make sure the sink is in the exact location of your top cut out. Apply a bead of silicone over the flange then lay your top on it. The company that does our tops uses this method for all of out granite top installs.
Even better. Adjustable. Silicone the top rim, set the top and then slide the sink into the exact position.

But not the best or easiest.
Screw it on.
Attached Thumbnails
Could I simply drill holes into the flange of my under-mount sink and screw that....-img_0918.jpg   Could I simply drill holes into the flange of my under-mount sink and screw that....-img_0919.jpg  
Advertisement