Cork Talk - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2010, 05:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cork talk

We are going to be remodeling our (small) full bathroom once taxes come in. We are doing this ourselves and with help of friends who used to do plumbing/construction professionally. My brother in law is going to tile (and has done it before).

I have been seeing a lot of cork flooring and I am in love. Since it is a small space the price difference is do-able. I think I want to use the cork tiles and I am excited about this!

I saw some cork showers online, but really it seems like I see the same shower over and over. We have a tub/shower combo. I would love to use cork there too but I really can't find resources on doing it! Ideally I would like to use the tiles to avoid grouting but we can grout if we have to go with the mosaic tiles.

Anyone have any input/experience on cork walls in a shower?
Meg320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I love cork too and do quite a few floors with it for residential including in baths. I had never thought to use it in the shower but why not? Just grout it like you would any other tile. Here is one thing I just found online. The products are made from wine corks. Not sure this is the look you have in mind. The link does explain the process.

http://www.showercork.com/installation.html
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 09:06 AM   #3

Thats the one I saw too, I like it well enough but would love to do matching tiles on the floor/wall.....still not sure if that would work unless putting enough polyurethane over top would seal it well enough?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg320 View Post
Thats the one I saw too, I like it well enough but would love to do matching tiles on the floor/wall.....still not sure if that would work unless putting enough polyurethane over top would seal it well enough?
They showed a shower floor with a drain in it but I don't know. I have yet to try it. Well if you follow their directions, you would end up with four coats all together. Two pre-grout and two after. That should do the trick. The water would not hurt the cork anyhow---it is after all but tree bark. You would just want to keep it from hard water spotting and discoloring and would want to be able to wipe it off. And of course you want to seal things so water does not get between the cork and the wall. Hence the grout.

Here is a link to the image gallery for others following this post. See especially the white stained shower floor with drain and boat deck. Does get much wetter than these applications I shouldn't think.

http://www.showercork.com/gallery.html

Hey, I will cut you a deal by the way. If you ship me a couple cases of decent wine every week, doesn't have to be Spanish or Portuguese, I will slice the corks and send them back to you for your floor and walls!

Last edited by user1007; 01-31-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Added URL
Old 01-31-2010, 12:30 PM   #5

I will seriously consider your offer! My concern would be you using a knife/scissors after consuming all that wine...a finger or two may be sacrificed!!

I guess if they use it on the floor in a shower then the walls should be no issue...the water would trickle down vs. possibly sitting on the shower floor.

I would still love to find out if we could use the tiles as thats my preference but the mosaic would be ok too
Old 01-31-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg320 View Post
I would still love to find out if we could use the tiles as thats my preference but the mosaic would be ok too
I have used these cork products for bath floors with great results. Why not give them a call to see what they see about adapting them to shower walls and floor?

http://www.duro-design.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement