Converting From Electric To Propane Burners - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2016, 01:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Converting from Electric to Propane burners

I have a large custom made stainless kitchen counter in which 4 holes were cut and electric burners installed by previous house owner. I want to remove the electric burners and replace them with propane gas burners. Having been a short order cook I want somewhat more powerful burners including one for Chinese woks.

The actual burners, gas lines, gas spliters, etc seem straight foward and easy to buy. But the controllers and knobs that light the burner and control the flame are a bit more confusing. Any thoughts.

I suspect I may have to do some light tack welding to attach components or brackets under the stainless counter and perhaps drill 1/4" holes for the controller knobs to pass through to the top of the counter. Be nice if I could buy an entire kit including burner, hoses, controller, knobs.
Hawaii_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,896

Re: Converting from Electric to Propane burners

Post a picture of what you have now.
What your suggesting doing and how your suggesting doing is just not a great idea.
Old electric units need to removed (the whole unit, not just the guts) and replaced with new gas drop in units.
Running new gas lines often requires permits and inspections, lines need to be sized according to the BTU's needed, pressure tested, gas shutoff under the counter and flex line to make final connection.
Done wrong, house goes boom or there's not enough flow to give you the needed BTU's,
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2016, 01:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Re: Converting from Electric to Propane burners

Thanks for your comment, I agree. I have decided to buy a drop in unit that will be safer and not affect my insurance.
Hawaii_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement