Concrete Countertops - Are They A Good Idea? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree5Likes
Old 04-27-2019, 08:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 214

Concrete Countertops - Are they a good idea?

We are remodeling our kitchen and have a contractor who can do concrete countertops. It's a way to save some money from other solid surfaces and I personally like the variance and look of concrete and from what I've seen they still hold up really when sealed properly even if they do require a bit of maintenance like rewaxing or sealing periodically. But my wife is less enthusiastic. She says she's read about them being higher maintenance and being able to stain easily. And that people who like them most like how they get a natural patina over time with use. I'm aware of these potential issues, but once again, I'm under the impression that if sealed properly when made and then waxed periodically you shouldn't have issues very often. Anyone installed them before? What's been your experiences with them? Thanks!
bluegrassliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2019, 08:26 AM   #2

Re: Concrete Countertops - Are they a good idea?

Oh, and as an idea, I thought maybe if we added some concrete dye that's black it may help them darken a bit, and also help them be more resistant to any staining, or more resistant to showing a stain that is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2019, 05:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,082

It's concrete so it's just like a driveway or patio made out of concrete with regard to staining and changing color. Personally, I wouldn't have concrete counters but there a lots of people who've done it and love them.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2019, 04:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

Personally, I think quartzite or granite are the go-to for countertops. Granite counters have great heat retention so they're great for kitchens. Quite low maintenance too.
cramery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 05:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,180

I could never consider any countertop that is not absolutely stain-proof.

A countertop is something that definitely WILL have various liquids spilled on it.

I'm with your wife on this one.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:10 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 28

I may have a different take on this than most. I have done a concrete vanity countertop in my bathroom and I love it!! it looks better than anything that you can buy. It all depends on your mix, your form and how you finish it. I think I'd have better advice for you if you were doing it yourself but since you're having someone do it, they should know how it all works (hopefully)
If you seal the concrete properly, it will not stain. Especially if you put a dark pigment dye in the mix. Once your concrete cures, you'll want to make sure you fill the pin holes with a slurry. use a concrete adhesive instead of water and Portland cement. this will give you a nice uniform finish. Sand with 220 grit sand paper until smooth and then seal with a latex passed concrete sealer. sand and seal again with the sealer. you can do this a few times so any liquids or oils will not penetrate the seal. Concrete countertops are significantly cheaper than any other material when you figure a bag of concrete is typically less than $5. Hope this helps
InTheLawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 07:49 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,889

Iíve seen the concrete videos and think they look wonderful.
I would only consider before I knew what maintenance is involved
and over time how does it hold up?

A kitchen counter takes more use and abuse than a vanity. We have granite
for about twelve years now. We have never resealed it. I clean it off
with windex. I also spray it with a countertop polish at least once a week.
It is the same amount of maintenance as a formica counter, and they
still look brand new...and we cook like two maniacs!

I think you should listen to your wife.
Two Knots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 08:25 AM   #8

We happened to find a good deal on some quartz countertops that were used and went with those. We did our whole kitchen for 600 in materials and then 350 for some fab and install that needed done. Definitely worth it.
SPS-1, lug-nuts and InTheLawn like this.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:24 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 228

I did concrete counters in my kitchen. Cost was about 80 bucks for the concrete, and reinforcing mesh. I have 65 sq. ft. of countertop space. I left the formica, cut it off flush with the cabinets. Formed it up, added the mesh. After it cured for a Month I epoxy coated them (under 600) for the epoxy.

lug-nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:25 PM   #10

Having a little trouble with the pics posting

Old 06-28-2019, 04:28 PM   #11

Epoxy coated

SPS-1 likes this.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:31 PM   #12

Sky's the limit with the colors. I used a metallic powder additive to achieve the color, the "veins" are pearl metallic only drizzled over the cafe brown. I got the mineralized look by misting black spray paint while wet then spraying with rubbing alcohol that had metallic powder in it. It was pretty easy.
Old 06-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #13

Also when the top coat gets scratched a bit, you just polish like a car finish. Use a buffer with rubbing compound then hit with the wax. shines up like a new penny. Ive have mine installed for over a year and it still isnt at that point where it needs to polished.

Its basically plastic, so non porous and heat resistant. We set hot pans directly on it no damage.
Unread 08-05-2019, 07:46 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 484

Where I live a 8' x 30 inch piece of finished granite with bull nosing costs around $200. Installation adds another $200 for cutting in for a sink and faucet. Our kitchen has 20 linear feet of granite and overall cost was under $1,000. I cannot see a significant savings with concrete countertops and certainly one would take a hit on resale value of the house.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2019, 08:44 AM   #15

Thats really inexpensive for granite, wish it was that cheap where i live. Granite counters in utah run 60 to 100 dollars per square foot installed.

Heres a pic of my concrete epoxy coated counter tops
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete Countertops - Are they a good idea?-img_20180617_170221_117_1565099036094.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement