Change From An Electric Cooktop To A Gas One - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling


Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 10

Change from an electric cooktop to a gas one

I have an electric cook top in my kitchen island now and want to convert to a gas cook top. how do I do this and where do I start?
Vytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 951
Rewards Points: 500

There are three steps:

1) Buy a cooktop.
2) Put it in.
3) Run the gas line.

Step 2 is covered by the instruction manual that comes with step 1. The details will vary based on what you have now. If the new cooktop needs a bigger hole than the one you have, then you need to make a bigger hole. How you do that depends on what your countertop is.

I wanted to put in a gas cooktop too, but when I looked in the instructions I saw that I did not have the necessary clearance to combustibles. Depending on the design of your island, that could be an issue for you, so check that first. The cooktop I was looking at required 24" between it and any vertical combustable surface. Since I have wooden backsplash (sidesplash, really) that killed it.

For step 3, if you aren't comfortable with that part, you might ought to hire a professional. The details depend on the circumstances.

A gas cooktop should have a hood vented to the outside.

Last edited by pyper; 01-19-2012 at 12:03 PM.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's
Blondesense's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: south central Missouri
Posts: 2,205
Rewards Points: 12

Natural gas? Do you already have it coming to the house for any other appliances - hot water heater, etc.?

First of all, let me say I'm no expert, but the first thing I would do is find out the cost of running the lines. Maybe try your gas company to see if they can recommend someone (plumber?) to give you an estimate.
This is not something you want to DIY.

Last edited by Blondesense; 01-19-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 36,375
Rewards Points: 17,890

I agree call the gas company first, the cost to do it may scare you away.
And no a gas cook top does not require a vent.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:56 AM   #5
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10

I've done this myself as a DYI'er. Had an electric stove in an island which I've replaced during a remodel. In older houses like the one I did the job on, I was fortunate to find a good spot to "tap" into the gas line under the house using black pipe fittings. It was a straight to elbow to short 12" straight to elbow to straight. I cut the 6" in the middle, removed the straight pipe pieces, installed a T fitting with a union fitting with new 2" straight pipes to complete the job. The rest was easy but like all threaded pipes, you have to install them in order. Finished the job with an assembled shut-off valve on a pipe through the hole in the cabinet and the floor and tightened it.

It's very important to check for leaks by using a spray bottle of Dawn soap & water. Use yellow "teflon" tape made especially for gas lines.

When I moved, I had to install a gas line for the dryer. Fortunately, the newer home uses CSST (corrugated stainless steel tubing) in the attic which is essentially a flexible gas line. It's identifiable by noticing the yellow plastic covering. The upside? Extremely easy to work with. The downside? You MUST be certified by the respective manufacture in order to buy their products. There are no uniform fitting standards with CSST so if your home has one, buy only from the same manufacturer.

Ironically, with CSST, there's two places where it can fail, the beginning and the end whereas with black pipe, it has many potentials for failures (leaks) yet anyone can buy the pieces to make their own from the local home improvement stores!

Not every state permits CSST but I heard that it's fast becoming acceptable so check your local codes. CSST training is fairly quick and straightforward. You study the instructions, sign some form(s) and you'll get a certification allowing you to purchase from plumbing supply houses. Home Depot & Lowe's do not carry them.
seanbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Main Electric Panel Help Redrum Ninja Electrical 13 10-22-2011 07:28 PM
wiring electric cooktop 4 wires to 3 wires 1234mom Electrical 34 07-02-2011 06:12 AM
electric easement samlock Building & Construction 7 04-05-2011 09:24 AM
jenn-air cooktop electric pilot lights do not work puckmen Appliances 1 07-27-2009 08:29 PM
Is my panel sufficient to add Electric water heater andy Electrical 16 04-21-2009 08:34 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts