Cement Board Vs Green Drywall? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2015, 05:36 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,176

Cement board vs green drywall?

Why green drywall seems to be completely banned for bathroom remodels in shower/bathtub surrounding, and cement board always recommended?
french_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 06:26 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,883

Mainly because the water permeability is about the same as your sock or a bucket.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colbyt For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (07-27-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 07:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,884

Is this a glued on surround or real tile?
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #4

As you understood from my name, I’m French (I’ve been in the US for 10 years though)
I was asking because in France, all is used is green boards. The name is “Placoplatre hydrofuge” from Lafarge (the translation would be “water resistant drywall”)
I’m pretty sure all bathroom remodels (or even new) are made with this stuff. And I’m also pretty sure you cannot find anywhere in France those cement boards
When I was still living in France, I remodeled my bathroom, and used that type of drywall, and used also a water proof membrane (equivalent to Redguard)

So I find strange that what is widely used in one country is a big NO-NO in another one…..Just an honest question, I don’t want to create an “enflamed” thread
Old 07-27-2015, 06:43 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

French guy,

The main problem is that many people will not apply any membrane over wallboard, or if they do, they only apply one coat to save money. Can you imagine a handyman or carpenter contractor doing tilework where no one knows how it should be done or no one is looking. Even if the proper number of coats are applied, water can enter the wall board from the unprotected ends. In addition, people that use wallboard are more likely to use mastic instead of thinset.

Having said that, there's still lots of contractors cutting corners cuz no one makes them do a good job and it's gonna last several years at minimum. Might even last many years if no grout cracks develop and the stars align just right.

I may have mentioned it before in one of your other threads, but I claim I can make Swiss cheese waterproof if I apply the right membrane the right way. Not too sure about Brie cheese though.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
French guy,

The main problem is that many people will not apply any membrane over wallboard, or if they do, they only apply one coat to save money. Can you imagine a handyman or carpenter contractor doing tilework where no one knows how it should be done or no one is looking. Even if the proper number of coats are applied, water can enter the wall board from the unprotected ends. In addition, people that use wallboard are more likely to use mastic instead of thinset.

Having said that, there's still lots of contractors cutting corners cuz no one makes them do a good job and it's gonna last several years at minimum. Might even last many years if no grout cracks develop and the stars align just right.

I may have mentioned it before in one of your other threads, but I claim I can make Swiss cheese waterproof if I apply the right membrane the right way. Not too sure about Brie cheese though.

Jaz
Come on Jaz...Camembert is the king of the cheese (the one that is a little creamy), especially with French baguette (the real one though) and good red wine

So does that mean green board properly applied, with 2 coats of liquid membrane, it's an acceptable way?
Old 07-27-2015, 07:15 PM   #7
Tileguy

Regular drywall with Kerdi is great for showers, and the way I did most showers since '05.

I'm not too crazy about liquid membrane over wallboard. Too easy to apply it thinner than recommended. I think it's fine for a tub enclosure though. If you're not doing a Kerdi waterproofing job, why take chances with green board?

Camembert huh? I'll have to try some.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
Old 07-27-2015, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Regular drywall with Kerdi is great for showers, and the way I did most showers since '05.

I'm not too crazy about liquid membrane over wallboard. Too easy to apply it thinner than recommended. I think it's fine for a tub enclosure though. If you're not doing a Kerdi waterproofing job, why take chances with green board?

Camembert huh? I'll have to try some.

Jaz
So cement board is the safest option with liquid membrane?
Old 07-27-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by french guy
So cement board is the safest option with liquid membrane?
That's the way you should do it, yes. Is this a shower or a tub enclosure?

Jaz

Old 07-27-2015, 07:31 PM   #10

Quote:
That's the way you should do it, yes. Is this a shower or a tub enclosure?

Jaz
That would be a shower
Old 07-27-2015, 07:33 PM   #11
Tileguy

OK, that's more complicated. Tiled shower floor too or a molded pan?

Jaz

Old 07-27-2015, 07:35 PM   #12

Quote:
OK, that's more complicated. Tiled shower floor too or a molded pan?

Jaz
It would be a molded pan
Old 07-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #13
Tileguy

OK, that's easier. I imagine you know the rest. If not we're here.

Jaz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement