Cement Board Installation - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2016, 02:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 44

Cement Board Installation

Hi everyone,

I have a series of silly questions about cementing boarding my shower. I just want to make sure I do this right the first time.

I have screwed up the boards, as you can see in the picture. A couple questions before I Red Guard it.

1. Do I do anything with the gap between the board and the tub? I know I use the tape and thin set for the gap between the cement boards, but will the tile just cover up the gap between the board and the tub?

2. What about the top where the cement board meets the ceiling? Tape and thin set as well?

3. Then the side where the cement board meets the sheetrock?

4. Where there is space around the pipes, etc., do I need to do anything there or just let the tile cover it up?

Thanks in advance. Just want to make sure that I'm covering everything correctly so that I don't have any leaks.

Be well.

lrriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016, 08:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 388

Re: Cement Board Installation

1) whenever I've done mine, the tub's tile flange is screwed to the wall, which then puts my backerboard (wedi is my perference) overhanging the tile flange. while there might be a slight gap, the waterproof surface is well over the flange and water will hit the tub deck. It appears the surface of your cbu is even with the tile flange. I'm not sure how you fix this....furring out the wall is one solution; but presents additional challenges, you'll now have the sheetrock and cbu on different planes. This can be fixed in a number of ways, bullnose tiles designed to fit over these gaps are one that come to mind.

2) I wouldn't worry about the ceiling CBU interface. Just make sure you get plenty of thinset on it and let the tile go to the ceiling.

3) i like to build my walls so sheetrock and backerboard will be flush when I am ready to tile. the best look is to finish with a bullnose, the unfinished cut side is unappealing to me.

4) not sure what you are asking...
1acre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016, 09:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 44

Re: Cement Board Installation

Thanks so much for the reply.

1. My cement board is about 1/4 of an inch above the tub lip. Which I thought was pretty standard. But I could be wrong.

2. Thanks! That's what I was hoping.

3. My sheetrock and cement board are flush. I just wasn't sure if I need to put regular tape and sheetrock compound and then paint over it if it's not being tiled. Which that one little bit where the sheetrock and cement board but up against each other won't be tiled.

4. No worries on that. I was definitely confusing. I was just curious if anything needed to be done around the pipes that protrude from the cement. As in caulking or anything or just but the tile up as closely as possible and call it a day.

Thanks again for the help.
lrriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bathroom , cement board