Ceiling Light Fixture In Tiled Shower? Electical Code Considerations? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Oso954
  • 2 Post By Biggycat

Old 03-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Ceiling light fixture in tiled shower? Electical code considerations?

Am redoing a shower, and installing a light fixture in the ceiling of the shower. It is rated for damp environment. Low voltage LED. Are there electrical codes regarding this, such as, am I not allowed to tile the ceiling because of the work that will be involved getting through to the fixture if there is an electrical problem?? There is a crawl space above the ceiling, one can go up there to run cable but it is not comfortable to work there. I re-framed the shower ceiling. The light fixture itself rides in a bracket that is fastened to the ceiling frame from below. So the light fixture/bracket will be sandwiched between the framing and the cement board for the tile. Maybe I'm answering my own question here...? The electrical is super easy to connect, the light appears to be very high quality. I suppose in the best of all possible worlds, where LEDs never burn out and never need to be replaced, then I can seal it all up tightly with cement board, Red Guard and tile. I really want tile on the ceiling, same as the walls. But maybe I should gypsum the ceiling and cover with an attractive vinyl tile? What say ye all?
Biggycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2018, 03:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,896

Re: Ceiling light fixture in tiled shower? Electical code considerations?

If it was mine I'd be installing the fixture low enough to make up for the thickness of the tile board and tile and tiling around the housing.
No way would I be sandwiching it like that.
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,692

Is this a recessed light? Pictures sure would help. You either have a 4" round ceiling box or a recessed can to work with. Once it is wired, don't worry about it. Where is your transformer located? You can run line voltage lighting into a shower as long as it is GFCI protected. If it is a recessed light it has adjustments for depth once your tile is in place. You can lower it or raise it at will.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2018, 05:38 PM   #4

I am not able to include a picture of the fixture/housing.
It is a 4 inch can. the can and housing sit within a bracket and can slide into the position you need, then tightened. This setup would be behind the wall, whether gypsum or cement board. Apparently the LED lens is replaceable through the can itself. The can moves up and down so that its outside edge fits against the tile, and there is also a decorative plate that attaches against the tile. The junction box would be accessible from above, from the crawl space. Is this permissible?
Old 04-01-2018, 07:53 AM   #5
Naildriver

Quote:
This setup would be behind the wall
What set up? You can't hide the transformer or any of its connections in a wall.

As long as the circuit is protected via GFCI you are good. It appears you have a standard recessed can with all the adjustments, which is also fine.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

I built a handicapped bathroom. I needed certificates of completion so I used a licensed electrician & plumber. The electrician installed an exhaust fan & light in the shower so I imagine that it complies with code.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 01:13 PM   #7
Naildriver

I installed a light/fan in a shower for a client. Just had to make sure it was on GFCI. Looked pretty good and moved a good bit of air.
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling light fixture in tiled shower?  Electical code considerations?-jacobsen-shower3.jpg  
Old 04-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,818

Many of the decorative light/fan combos (similar in appearance to the one installed by chandler) are not rated for installation in a shower or tub enclosure.

If you want one for that purpose, be sure to read the instructions before buying. (Donít rely on the guy in the colored apron)
chandler48 likes this.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 26

there is no codes that I know for a diy and you don't have to worry about problems with it as long as you use screws you can remove later the whole think can come right back out
chris121244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:18 AM   #10
Naildriver

Quote:
no codes that I know for a diy
Explain. Codes are there to protect you from yourself, so DIY applies just as much as professional.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:55 AM   #11
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Quote:
Codes are there to protect you from yourself, so DIY applies just as much as professional.
Actually, codes are there to save the insurance companies money. That's how the head inspector of a suburban municipality explained it to me. Insurance companies hired there own engineers to help with that, as well. One example is the Hartford Loop, invented to prevent explosions in boilers. It was invented by the Harford Insurance Co.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:51 PM   #12
Naildriver

Quote:
save the insurance companies money.
What if you don't have insurance and choose to follow code anyway? Does it save money? Nope. It could save a life. I agree many code regulations are industry driven. Example: AFCI breakers on all circuits. Yeah they prevent fires, but the industry is making a bunch of money at $45 a pop rather than $4.

My point was choosing NOT to follow code could be hazardous and possibly expensive.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:36 AM   #13

thank you all for the replies.
My LED lighting unit is rated for shower ceiling installation. It is a recessed can that is removable from below, (the bracket that holds it will be fastened to the joists), and it will be installed with GFCI. So thanks, I am set.
chandler48 and Nealtw like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement