Can I Put A Light Only Fixture Where Bathroom Ventalation Fan Is? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2015, 01:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

Can I put a light only fixture where bathroom ventalation fan is?

Greetings!

I'm trying to remodel and update my parents home. For the first time in probably 15 or 20 years the bathroom fan in my room was turned on. I never used it growing up because the sound it putout made me think it could do some serious damage. Well 15 years later my attention grabbing bathroom fan STILL TALKS LOUD. I was even more surprised it still works and doesn't sound any worst than it did years ago.

I know this sounds bad but we have 3 bathrooms only mine had vent. fan and i never used it. We were always taught manners like flushing the toilet multiple times, etc....But, flipping through channels i heard them talking about the importance of bathroom vents. They probably are in different environments but it doesn't seem to have done much damage to our Georgia home. Anyways i think its a perfect spot for recessed lights, or even 1 light fixture.

Is there any fire or safety hazards of me hanging light where the fan was. It has a 2 prong socket up there also. Why not get a fan with a light? the nicer ones that attracted me where a little expensive and from specs didn't seem to have the daylight white i'm seeking.

If its ok to proceed, i already bought a $6 lamp holder, i have plenty of 60w leds. just to see if it would work i plugged in the light to the socket and hit the switch! Or do you feel its best if i buy a fixture and wire it in the ceiling. O did i mention there doesn't appear to be an outlet for the fan if i did replace.....meaning above the fan is solid like cement i don't see any gaps for the air to pushed through, smh.

Sorry for long post and thanks
jigsaww is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015, 07:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 474

Most areas have a code that you either have a window or a fan in each bathroom for ventilation.
BrowneBearLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015, 07:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 107

A lot of places you need the fan whether there is a window or not. New fans are much quieter by the way.
jimn01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 36

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Honestly, i'm new to home improvements, i new nothing about wiring, grounding, etc until a month ago and i'm 32. The only work i've done was take out an old light fixture and replace with a 3 light LED fixture i bought from Home Depot. But, i've yet to create a new spot for a light, plug or socket. I'm very hesitant about cutting my own hole in the ceiling, tapping into other power sources, etc......that's the reason i have a lot of battery operated led lights. I'm very impatient with measuring and perfect cuts. Then i dred going in the attic. I don't think anyone has been up there in 2 decades. if i add a light or speaker in the shower i'd have to buy more wire (i think its called Remax.....i saw a little amount at walmart for $39.99, i didn't think it would be that expensive) and tap from somewhere right?

below is a few pics, the last 3 i edited the colors to get multiple looks at vent. Even if i buy a fan i don't see any hole up there for the air to flow, do you? touching it it feels hard like the ceiling.

http://i61.tinypic.com/307nszd.jpg
jigsaww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:08 AM   #5
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,258

First question....is there a window in that bathroom? If so, then a light only is fine.

If no window, you need to put in a fan.

As for that hole....you could be looking at the damper...it lets air out, but not in. You should be able to push it open. I'd turn the fan on and see what happens.

Regardless, you're going to have to do some wiring....no real way around it....or hire an electrician.

If you remove the fan, you will need to install a box to hang the light from. If you install a new fan you will need to cut a hold for the fan.

This pic is just an example of what the newer fans look like. Basically, you cut a square hole and stick the fan up in it suspended between ceiling joists. What's nice about this is you wire to a box on the side of the unit. Yes, it means going into the attic. Time to get used to it....or used to paying someone to do it....choice is yours.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement