Calk Around Bathtub Is Cracked - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

calk around bathtub is cracked

Hi, The calk around my bathtub is cracked and I need to replace it. What is the best way to do this, and the best products?
NHakeem7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

I use a hard silicone caulk removal tool, and a lot of muscle power. Then clean up with acetone, let dry, and apply a new good bead of Kitchen & bath caulk, that has anti-microbal, to not allow it to be invaded by mold & mildew. On a regular basis, caulk should be replaced no more than every 18 months, because it does wear out.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHakeem7 View Post
Hi, The calk around my bathtub is cracked and I need to replace it. What is the best way to do this, and the best products?
Caulk doesn't generally "crack". Grout will, if put next to the tub or in a corner. If it's grout, you can take a stiff scraper(1"-2") and tap it(the grout) to break the connection with the tile. Clean the space completely and dry it with a hair dryer. Then apply the caulk Greg recommended.
I don't agree with replacing the caulk every 18 months as a rule. Replace it as needed.
I've done bath jobs, 10 -15 years ago with the same caulking in place. Not allowing mold buildup will keep it it good shape.

Last edited by Ron6519; 08-16-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #4

With my wife Ron, because she scrubs it so much, when she cleans the tub, it gets replaced around about every 18 months.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,348

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
With my wife Ron, because she scrubs it so much, when she cleans the tub, it gets replaced around about every 18 months.
Greg, we all have our crosses.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #6

Tell me about it. If she had never touched the caulk around the tub when she did, I would not have spent a weekend gutting the rock-lathe around the tub, to give her a new bathroom. One thing always leads into another, and look what it gets them in turn. As for the op, I have noticed that the white acrylic caulk that we used around the bath vent is cracking, which leads me to believe that acrylic caulk was used around the tub. If this is a older home, who knows how long it has been there.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement