Cabinet Installation Measurement Question - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2017, 10:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Cabinet installation Measurement Question

Hey all,

In our mudroom, the back wall is open so I thought it would be great idea to install kitchen cabinets on it. I took a measurement and from wall to wall its 7ft exactly. Whenever I check out cabinets at home depot, ikea, etc every cabinet combination I come up with always adds up to exactly 7ft. Now the noob DIY'er in me says you shouldnt be installing cabinets that have the exact same width as your walls. The problem Im having is that I cant come up with a combination of cabinet sizes that get kinda close to 7ft..I thought that if I could get cabinets to add up to like 82 inches or 83 that would be fine b/c there would be room for wood expansion. Does anyone have any insight for me? Do i just have to end up getting custom cabinets done?

Last edited by phish007; 02-01-2017 at 10:20 PM.
phish007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2017, 10:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,136

Re: Cabinet installation Measurement Question

You're right that you don't want the cabinets to be exactly the available width because that would make installation of the last cabinet difficult if it is a very tight fit and you have to jam it in there. Not good.

If the cabinets come within a few inches of the available wall space, you can use one or more "filler strips" between one or more of the cabinets to fill the gap(s).

For example:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Design-Ho...5038/205227504

But any good kitchen cabinet instillation guide will discuss the need for and installation of filler strips.
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017, 12:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 708

When designing a cabinet installation and the cabinets are positioned right tight to the wall, you will have issues with the handles hitting the walls before the doors are fully open so plan on at least a 5/8 or 3/4 inch filler in those places. It is also a good idea because the drawers may also be impacted and fail to open properly.
Most kitchen cabinets are supplied in a standard 3 inch increment. Seven ft is 84 inches which is evenly divisible by the increment factor, so drop one increment and use 81 inches for the cabinets and include one filler strip which (amazingly) is also 3 inches (from most kitchen places I have dealt with). The filler can be cut in half if both ends are contained between walls. Install them so the cabinets are balanced and neither side will have issues as discussed above.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017, 07:35 AM   #4
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,356

36 + 24 + 18 = 78, leaves 3" on each side.
30 + 30 +18 = 78,
15 * 5 = 75,

Pending door style and knobs or knob-less, the doors on the close wall may not be an issue.
To check the opening for actual width, cut a 2 x 4 to exactly 84" and see if it fits.

Only the fronts of the cabinet will be actual nominal size. The rear of the cabinet will be 1/4" less on each side. This would help you in the back corner.
Yodaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

ah thanks for all your insight everyone, def clears a lot up for me!
phish007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement