Cabinet Installation And Laminate - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2018, 06:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
Question

Cabinet Installation and Laminate

Hey all,

I'm hoping somone can give me some insight on what to expect, but my wife and I have just recently completely renovated our home with the exception of the kitchen.

Included in our remodel we laid premium 12.3mm laminate seamlessly through the first floor. Please dont huff at the laminate we are in love with it and our two dogs can not damage it at all!

That being said we just on a whim and with some great deals at Lowes this week decided to have our new kitchen designed (and with a new 4 month old at home) installed. We will be removig old cabinets and moving lights etc so there will still be plenty of work to do, but that leads me to this question...

Our new cabinets will change the footprint of our existing cabinet installation. The changes will be minimal but we did a precicse install of the flooring and we will without question need to add additional to cover a larger refrigerator.

What can be done? I have plenty of floring on hand so thats not an issue but do you think it would be neccisary to remove the kitchen laminate prior to install of the new cabinets? I'd like to avoid that bc as I said its seamless and would involve some pretty tricky work to get it removed and reinstalled as it goes through two doors into other rooms with slots cut for casements etc..

Id like to make sure its all prepped for the installer we will have it down to bare walls an stub ins but I just dont know about the flooring.

Does anyone have experiance with this and how an installer would like it done?
BadgerNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2018, 07:38 AM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Cabinet Installation and Laminate

Have you asked the installer about the floor & how it will affect the job? Can you post a few pics?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

I'm at work so I'll have to upload Pictures later, but I think I might have a decent solution.

The footprint should be "simliar" in most areas of the kitchen, I will be replacing common depth cabinets so it is "likely" the footprint for the 12'x12' L of base cabinets will be the same (or similar). If the new cabinets have a slightly smaller footprint I can install a thicker kickplate to the end of the laminate.

IF the cabinate base rests wider and onto my previous laminate install I will just cut it in place to the new dimenisons prior to install.

In one location I will be going from 24inch cabinet depth to 30 so that will clearly exceed my laminate install and I will just cut it in place.

I will be meeting with the installer tomorrow to discuss this with him and see if we are on the same page.

MY REAL QUESTION NOW!!! is how to cut laminate clean and stright as sintalled any thoughts? (track saw.. screw in a straight edge to the subfloor and use a circular or toe kick saw? I think the job would be too bug for a dremel) Please note this is very hard laminte AC4 possibly 5.
BadgerNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,874

Your installer has likely seen this movie before or just remove enough to give him room to work on the subfloor and replace it when he is done.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 708

Skil saw set to depth and finish with a multi tool at the ends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
kitchen cabinets laminate