Cabinet Hardware Sizing / Options - Drawer Pulls Solid Or Hollow - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 238

Cabinet hardware sizing / options - Drawer pulls Solid or Hollow

Afternoon all. We are looking for cabinet pulls for our kitchen. We decided on pulls for everything drawers and also wall cabinets. Have a few questions that I’m hoping to get your expert opinion on:
1- There are MANY options even within each style –Stainless Steel solid vs. hollow pulls, the price is significant and other than weight is there a difference? Also, any particular brand “better” than the other if the style is the same? I attached a picture of our layout.
2-What size pulls would you do on a 36” drawer, we prefer to do one SINGLE pull vs two.
3-Our uppers are 36”, what size pull would you use?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Attached Thumbnails
Cabinet hardware sizing / options - Drawer pulls Solid or Hollow-cabinets.jpg  
nutshellml is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2016, 01:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,094

Re: Cabinet hardware sizing / options - Drawer pulls Solid or Hollow

Keep in mind I've chosen not to have pulls but I think this is a matter of personal preference anyway. I would start by going to the home center and looking at what they have and seeing what strikes your fancy. If you're down to a handful of choices, they're usually cheap enough you could buy one of each to them compare in your home.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2016, 01:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
Keep in mind I've chosen not to have pulls but I think this is a matter of personal preference anyway. I would start by going to the home center and looking at what they have and seeing what strikes your fancy. If you're down to a handful of choices, they're usually cheap enough you could buy one of each to them compare in your home.
Why did you opt for no pulls? I like to hear, maybe something I haven't thought of, but yes personal taste.

Reasoning we are planning to go with pulls is 1) we are going for a more contemporary/modern look 2) we have 36" wide drawers and I feel that knobs won't be too functional as you would have to grab both to pull out drawer smoothly vs. a pull that you can grab in center or little off center. Not sure if those are valid reasons per se, but aside for the look that's why.
nutshellml is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2016, 02:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,094

I don't have pulls or handles or anything - there's no exterior hardware on any of my doors or drawers. It's simply because I like the way they look now.

Not questioning you on why you want pulls, I only mentioned I don't have any because that may mean my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,514

This is what we have..
Attached Thumbnails
Cabinet hardware sizing / options - Drawer pulls Solid or Hollow-img_5647.jpg  
ryansdiydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #6

Classic upside down pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Cabinet hardware sizing / options - Drawer pulls Solid or Hollow-img_5648.jpg  
Old 10-26-2016, 03:46 PM   #7

Last upside down or sideways pic
Attached Thumbnails
Cabinet hardware sizing / options - Drawer pulls Solid or Hollow-image.jpg  
Old 10-26-2016, 03:48 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutshellml View Post
Afternoon all. We are looking for cabinet pulls for our kitchen. We decided on pulls for everything drawers and also wall cabinets. Have a few questions that I’m hoping to get your expert opinion on:
1- There are MANY options even within each style –Stainless Steel solid vs. hollow pulls, the price is significant and other than weight is there a difference? Also, any particular brand “better” than the other if the style is the same? I attached a picture of our layout.
2-What size pulls would you do on a 36” drawer, we prefer to do one SINGLE pull vs two.
3-Our uppers are 36”, what size pull would you use?

Thanks in advance for any info!
I'm really partial to the solid brushed? stainless? bar pulls you can get at big box stores. Big Orange is where we got ours. Had to visit a few locations.

Haven't seen any hollow pulls but if they are anything like the clasps I put on a cabinet I built I would steer clear. I Built two sets of cabinets. One in the kitchen I used solid clasps - the old timey cupboard type. A year later, I built a cabinet in the hall and went cheaper (half priced) with stamped steel - same style/color. It was a mistake.

Bigger is better. My buddy was doing his kitchen the same time as his downstairs neighbor. The downstairs neighbor used the same pulls but went with all 3? or 4? inch spread . They looked just ok on his 42inch cabinets.

We did 9? 12? (I don't remember all the figures off hand) inch on the cabinets. And 24s? on the pantries and big drawers.

The downstairs neighbor came up to check what we did and his jaw hit the floor. He told my buddy "I really screwed up"

I forget the cut off but the price isn't that much more than the smalls when you go up to 9? 12? 13? But the price basically doubles when you go over.
Erico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:38 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Anyone looking for stainless pulls or in fact any type, I recommend Wayfair & Overstock. Their prices will be a fraction of the big box stores. Also light fixtures, stools, and many other items you'l need.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:50 AM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,252

I personally hate doors without pulls. I WANT a handle.

I prefer solid over hallow. Hold one of each and you will understand.

If price is an issue, then maybe you should wait.

Wayfair? Yea, I agree it's a very good source.

I'll also crosscheck the same item on Amazon.

Another choice, SignatureHardware.com

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement