Building A Free Standing Cabinet Around A Dishwasher - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2014, 01:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Building a free standing cabinet around a dishwasher

Hi all,

First off, thanks for helping.

I installed a new integrated dishwasher in place of a free standing dishwasher. I have all the plumbing and electrical done and can easily remove and replace the new dishwasher as needed. Now I need to build a cabinet with counter top around it and secure the dishwasher to the counter to prevent it from tipping and to cover the unfinished sides of the appliance. My thoughts are to use 1/2 in. plywood for the two sides and have the box stores cut me a counter top. Now a few curve balls: The counter top will not be square/rectangle, ideally. I am looking to put extra counter space with a triangle over hang to the left dishwasher. Let me try to explain the countertop:

rear dimensions against the wall is 48 in.
Standard counter width
front dimensions will be rectangle for the first 24 in. over the dishwasher, then 45 degree angle for the remaining 24 in. to meet at a point with the rear.
Essentially, cutting the corner off the 4 foot counter top starting 24 in. in.

My question is on the framing of this. The two side pieces of plywood will be under the counter on the right edge and at the mid point to box in the dishwasher. How do I support this and the triangular over hang with framing? I wanted to keep the space under the counter and next to the dishwasher clear/open.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a free standing cabinet around a dishwasher-counter-sketch.jpg  
Bootstrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

A dishwasher goes into a hole between two cabinets,and the counter gets attached to the adjacent cabinets with maybe a ledger board at the rear for additional support. Adding cabinets to either side of the DW is oing to be easier than building a box that you're trying to cantilever the counter on. There's just not enough there to ounterbalance that, or to prvide enough to anchor the assembly to the wall safely.
Advertisement