Buiding A Bathtub Frame Plus Shelves - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 07-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22
Question

buiding a bathtub frame plus shelves

I am doing a ground up remodel on a bathroom. My room is 5'9" wide and 15' long. I'm going to put the new bathtub/shower combo along the 5'9" wall. My tub is standard alcove 5' tub, which leaves me with 9 inches of space remaining. My ceiling is 10.5' tall so I am planning to tile to about 6'6". My plan for that 9" gap has been to build shelves facing into the tub for shampoo, etc. If I put a shelf at 3', 4' and 5' then the higher ones could hold "dry" things like towels or pretty nick-nacks. The shelf unit would go up to the level of the shower tile and would be finished with tile over waterproof barrier also.
My questions all center around how to connect the tub frame to the shelves. Should I build the long ends of the tub frame to 5'9" and then somehow attach and go straight up from there? Or will I end up needing to screw things together in that tiny 9" gap and find that I can't? Or maybe I have to completely build the shelves in my workshop before moving the completed tub/shelf combo into the room?
Do I build the shelves as a stand alone and then tightly squeeze the assembled piece into the 9" gap and then anchor it to the wall?
Or maybe I build the tub frame 5'9" wide but finish it flat and the shelves could be built as a stand alone unit that is sitting on the frame and anchored on the wall but not really attached to the frame?
Or maybe some other option that hasn't even occurred to me? I am reasonably handy but this is a big project for me. I want to get it right and the 3-D visualization on this is just escaping me.
Thanks in advance for any insight.
Chicken Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2017, 07:23 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,660

Re: buiding a bathtub frame plus shelves

I would build a solid wall, top to bottom. Then incorporate cubbies to hold things. You'll be tiling that wall as well, won't you? Shelves per se, won't have the height enough to tile, unless you found some really skinny tile edging. I'd build random cubbies and tile it all, including the cubbies. I would do this on the tail end, not the shower end. Having the extra depth will be nice, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2017, 03:53 AM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,756

Re: buiding a bathtub frame plus shelves

Build your deck for the tub to include the space. Or if you have a skirted tub build a wall and box just higher than the tub by about 3" build to walls on for against the back wall and one to face the the bathroom.
Cover all that with concrete board. When you tile leave 3/8" spaces for 1/4" glass shelves on the sides and back then slide the shelves in and silicone them in.

Lower the ceiling in that area and install a shower safe light, forget the towels.
Chicken Lady likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bathtub , shelves