Budget Calculator For Concepting - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 12-21-2017, 03:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Budget Calculator for Concepting

What's up everyone.

This just went live and while it may not be a DIY site, the budget calculator does apply to DIY budgeting as well (you guys just beat those numbers whenever you can)

https://www.marshkitchens.com/budget-calculator

Check it out, see what you think and if it breaks, shoot me a message and I will have the devs look into it.
ZParrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2017, 05:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,790

Re: Budget Calculator for Concepting

How hard is it to multiply by .10 or .25 ?
Or divide by 10 or 4 ?
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,608

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZParrow View Post
What's up everyone.

This just went live and while it may not be a DIY site, the budget calculator does apply to DIY budgeting as well (you guys just beat those numbers whenever you can)

https://www.marshkitchens.com/budget-calculator

Check it out, see what you think and if it breaks, shoot me a message and I will have the devs look into it.
What are you trying to accomplish.
The idea of saying a bathroom might or could or should cost 15% is OK but does that apply the same for a condo and a house sitting where the land has the same value as the house. Many people would consider both house and land as a home but that might mean people with that house would be spending much more than someone in a condo of the same value.

I would think if you want to make it usable it has to have a lot more info. Like sq ft. powder room. main bathroom, on suit. Then you might need a breakdown of %s for fixtures, finishes, heat and whatever else you can think of.
There are many variables like high end, economy and some in the middle but with enough usable info. I could see people using it and you might get the traffic you are looking for.
Oso954 likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2017, 08:54 AM   #4

Thanks for the response guys! I understand that especially here where folks are used to breaking this kind of thing down it seems a bit bare.

I think the general concept was initially helping people set their expectations going into the process.

How would you expect a class setting (economy, luxury, powder room) to change these numbers? I mean you can reset the %'s yourself, but good user experience is definitely something we want to provide

Last edited by ZParrow; 12-22-2017 at 08:59 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,406

After renovating every home we bought the passed 24 years (4) today I have come to one conclusion.

During those years before any large project I started on our homes inside or out, I would measure out the project accurately, investigated possible structural issues. With my plan drawn, project in my mind, I would then go to the store with my material lists and get my costs.

Even still with my due diligence, by the time I finished the projects I found out that I should have added 30% to my projected budget ....then I would have at least been close. JMO
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:57 AM   #6

I feel like that's always a trend with those HGTV shows. They always find SOMETHING wrong with the house that brings the budget up an extra 10 grand. It's pretty accurate though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
budget calculator , budgeting , kitchen and bath , remodeling