Breakfast Bar Ideas/help - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Breakfast bar ideas/help

Recently bought my house and the kitchen and living room share a wall. Since the kitchen was small and dark I made a halfway at bar height and I am making it into a breakfast bar for a few reasons. 1 to gain more light and make it more open, 2 to gain more counter space since I have very little. The problems I am having now are the counter top itself and an issue near where your feet will be by the drywall. The counter issue is really just inexperience. The wall itself is just a regular wall built with 2x4s and drywall. The surface this will be lying on is just a 2x4. My issue is how to secure this to the wall. It is just shy of 6ft long and I am hoping to get the counter top to be 16 inches long (deep) with it hanging into the kitchen only not the living room since there is a couch on the other side. I plan on going with a Formica top for this.

The other issue is since the wall is just drywall someone mentioned to me I should put something on the wall near where people's feet my hit the wall as to not wear out the drywall or possible put holes in it. Right now there is just a vinyl floor but eventually (year or so down the road) I would like to tile the kitchen.

Any suggestions would be helpful
Andruw91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

A picture would help---You will need brackets of some type---if you put in a triple top plate then a flat support could be used--

This would have been easier if you had designed the top and bracing to the wall had studs in the best location for the brackets.
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I know this is A pretty old posting but I just did exactly what u described in my new house. Wondering what u came up with and how it turned out.
akeith40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeith40
I know this is A pretty old posting but I just did exactly what u described in my new house. Wondering what u came up with and how it turned out.
I have still yet to do anything with it. I have been putting money into other things I just haven't finished it off yet. If you have I would like to see some pictures and and tips you maybe have. Thanks
Andruw91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement