Best Way To Remove Wall Tiles - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2016, 02:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 398

Best way to remove wall tiles

I have a bathroom that has tiles around the walls and shower. I'm guessing it is drywall around the walls and backer board for the shower. It is 1971 construction. Should I just remove the tile first and then work on removing the drywall and backer board? Someone told me to just cut sections out with a grinder and remove it in sheets.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2016, 05:22 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 8

Re: Best way to remove wall tiles

If you are not trying to save any of it, either the tiles or the gypsum board (dry wall), Why not just rip and tear it out anyway that you can.

Most tile shatters when hit with a hammer, just hit a line around a manageable size, break the backer, and pry it off in easily discarded sheets.

Then cleanup all the mess in the floor, and restart fresh.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 754

You think you'll find concrete backer.......1971 (?) No way. There was no backer board then. You can figure it's done the old-fashioned way. You'll be removing a "mud job", Behind the tiles you'll find anywhere from -1" or more of mud, then metal lath. Not much fun.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-29-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,048

Have to agree, this is where a 4 1/2" grinder with a diamond wheel comes in handy.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
You think you'll find concrete backer.......1971 (?) No way. There was no backer board then. You can figure it's done the old-fashioned way. You'll be removing a "mud job", Behind the tiles you'll find anywhere from -1" or more of mud, then metal lath. Not much fun.

Jaz

What's the best way to remove it?
Old 04-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 388

8 lb sledge, sawzall, pry bar and a little "who's your daddy." Just make sure there isn't wiring or plumbing behind the wall before you start hitting home runs or getting too intense with the sawzall. You'll get the hang of it.
1acre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #7
Tileguy

The grinder works, but man, it's soo dusty and bad for your health. Regular hammer, 2lb hammer, sledge, recking bars, plastic sheets, fan. Every job is different, use your head.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
Old 04-29-2016, 08:46 PM   #8

Quote:
The grinder works, but man, it's soo dusty and bad for your health. Regular hammer, 2lb hammer, sledge, recking bars, plastic sheets, fan. Every job is different, use your head.

Jaz

Now, that I think about it. I do think it was a mud and wire mesh job. I remember seeing the wire mesh behind some broken tiles. Do you know if the mud contained asbestos?
Old 04-29-2016, 10:32 PM   #9
Tileguy

Quote:
Do you know if the mud contained asbestos?
The "fat-mud" (used for walls), contains sand, Portland cement and lime. I doubt any of these contain asbestos, but there will be silica. Silica is a know carcinogen, but it could take years for it to affect a healthy person if you're exposed to it often. But why take chances?

Plastic sheets in doorways and air vents, fan blowing out the window, proper mask, (not the cheapo paper), eye protection. Hire someone.......

Quote:
Now, that I think about it, I do think it was a mud and wire mesh job
There's no doubt in my mind, I can see it from here.

Jaz

The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
ChiTownPro (04-29-2016)
Old 04-29-2016, 11:18 PM   #10

Quote:
The "fat-mud" (used for walls), contains sand, Portland cement and lime. I doubt any of these contain asbestos, but there will be silica. Silica is a know carcinogen, but it could take years for it to affect a healthy person if you're exposed to it often. But why take chances?

Plastic sheets in doorways and air vents, fan blowing out the window, proper mask, (not the cheapo paper), eye protection. Hire someone.......

There's no doubt in my mind, I can see it from here.

Jaz

Do you think I should just gut the entire bathroom? The tile goes up about 3 feet on the walls and standard height around the shower. I was planning on just cutting the tiles. I then was going to add new drywall for the walls and backer board around the tub. It is a small bathroom. I also need to remove the ceiling anyways. I'm not sure if it will take more time than it is worth saving some of the old drywall. I'm also don't know if it will be difficult to blend it in with the new.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:29 PM   #11
Tileguy

If you gotta take the ceiling out too, there's no question.

Jaz

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (04-29-2016), Malcolm (04-30-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement