Best Way To Prep Backsplash? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 89

Best way to prep backsplash?

I am about to put up subway tile as a kitchen backsplash. The wall where the tile will be going is flat but there is some chipping paint, cracks and a few holes. I thought the best option would be to put up some hardiebacker and then tile over it. I am wondering if that is the best way to go or if there is a better option. I am also debating between 1/4" and 1/2" hardie. I was hoping to get away with 1/4" so I don't have to add too much depth to the wall. Also if hardie is best, there is a fairly large hole behind my sink where the old faucet came out of the wall what is the best way to patch that before putting hardie up? If i use the 1/2" hardie would I be able to get away without patching before applying the hardiebacker? Also the wooden countertop is just treated with mineral oil. What would be the best way to seal the backsplash to the counter once completed? Thanks for the input.

photos can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/51S7q
Whyjune1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2016, 10:16 PM   #2

Re: Best way to prep backsplash?

Don't think that album worked correctly...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18

I am not an expert but I own rental properties and have done a good amount of tile setting.

First, the hole. Are you planning to remove the old pipes? If not, would it be possible to remove the fittings? Personally, i try not to leave old wires or pipes in walls, but that is just me. In any case, the picture seems to show that this is not a "hole" (nothing but air behind it), but rather is a "depression" (some type of material behind it). If so, i would suggest filling that depression with Structolite, which is a first coat of plaster. You mix the powder with water and apply it with a spackle knife. Very easy to work with.
I would also suggest scraping off the loose paint, without worrying about minor chips, dings, etc. At that point you should have a relatively flat surface, and the mastic or thinset will fill in any small voids. I see no reason to use hatdie backer, but if you decide to go that route 1/4" would be fine since there is already a wall there. The 1/2" is for when the walls of a bathtub or shower are only studs (i.e. no drywall). The hardibacker then becomes the sheathing of those walls.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2016, 10:22 PM   #4

I am not planning on taking the pipes out of the wall because I don't think they will do any harm left in. There are two holes a small one on the left of our faucet and a large one to the right. Both are completely through the plaster. The one on the left i might be able to get away with structolite but the one on the left is probably a good 6 inch hole (the material you see behind the hole is insulation as it is an exterior wall). I don't know if just structolite would work on the larger hole.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:06 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,188

I will be doing a backsplash in a few weeks myself. I came across this excellent article today. Hope it helps you too.

How to Install a Tile Kitchen Backsplash
A veteran installer shares his priorities and process

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/2014...hen-backsplash
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 06:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyjune1st View Post
I am not planning on taking the pipes out of the wall because I don't think they will do any harm left in. There are two holes a small one on the left of our faucet and a large one to the right. Both are completely through the plaster. The one on the left i might be able to get away with structolite but the one on the left is probably a good 6 inch hole (the material you see behind the hole is insulation as it is an exterior wall). I don't know if just structolite would work on the larger hole.
For the large hole... Lets assume it is 6 inches by 5 inches. Get some strips of wood about 2 inches wide by 10 inches long. Put marks 2 inches in from each end. Put one end in the hole and push the wood up so you can get the other end in the hole. Brung the wood back down so you can see both marks, meaning that you have 2 inches of wood behind the drywall at top and bottom. While pulling on the wood, run a drywall screw in through the drywall and into the wood. Do this on the top and bottom. Make another strip and install it the same way next to the first one. I usually run a long screw a little off center into the second piece of wood to act as a "handle" while i install that second piece and to pull on while i screw in the second piece. Then i remove the handle. If the space between the two strips of wood is too large, i put mesh tape over it. Then i mix and apply the structolite. This is far easier to do than to explain! Good luck.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
backsplash , hardie , hardiebacker , kitchen , tile