Beadboard Ceiling In Bathroom - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Beadboard Ceiling in bathroom

I'm interested in putting wood T&G beadboard planks over my existing drywall ceiling in my hall bathroom.
I've researched the proper methods for hanging T&G beadboard over an existing drywall ceiling in a moist environment -- but my question is this...
what thickness board should I use?

At my local Home Depot, they basically have two choices in the 8' wood planks:
the pre-packaged pine planks which run about 5/16 thickness and the loose 8' pine planks that are 1" in thickness.

The 5/16 prepackaged stuff seems so flimsy --- but are the 1" boards considered too thick for a ceiling? Especially a ceiling that already has sheetrock?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!
laluck76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,896

And did they mention it's not a good Idea to even install them in a bathroom?
A wooden ceiling in a bathroom will soon start peeling, it's not a whole lot of fun trying to strip peeling paint out of all the grooves.

5/16 or 3/8 is more then enough thickness.

Your going to have to preprime and paint these before instailling on all sides.

Leave room on the ends for expantion.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Is it a 1/2, 3/4 or full bath if it is a 1/2 i think the 5/16 would be fine glued and nailed. If 3/4 or full I would lean towards the other due to the higher chances of high moisture .
kj6887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 08:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

A better option in the bathroom would be PVC bead board, there are a couple of companies that make it, it would be much more stable in a moist environment.

If you intend to paint it, you and your guests would never know it is not real wood.

In my opinion, no matter how you do it, you are asking for problems if you use real wood.

The ones at Home Depot suck. I have used them a couple of times, out of necessity, and the tongue and groove part often are split, or soon become split as you work with them, even gingerly.

I would look elsewhere for PVC.

Last edited by oldhouseguy; 05-30-2012 at 08:16 PM.
oldhouseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhouseguy View Post
A better option in the bathroom would be PVC bead board, there are a couple of companies that make it, it would be much more stable in a moist environment.

If you intend to paint it, you and your guests would never know it is not real wood.

In my opinion, no matter how you do it, you are asking for problems if you use real wood.

The ones at Home Depot suck. I have used them a couple of times, out of necessity, and the tongue and groove part often are split, or soon become split as you work with them, even gingerly.

I would look elsewhere for PVC.
This.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the input o far!

It is a full bath, but as it isn't the primary bath in the house, the shower only gets used a couple times a month if we have guests. However, when it is used, it does get pretty steamy in there.

I was planning on pre-priming before installing -- however, I have had some concerns about using wood in the bathroom. I like the look of wood beadboard, so I was hoping to use wood for the project. Is there no amount of pre-prep that can make a wood ceiling withstand the moisture of a bathroom?

I did look into a few examples of 8' or longer PVC T&G beadboard planks on a few sites online, but wasn't able to find anything locally. I guess I'd have to order it. Any suggestions of a good online source for the PVC?

Is the PVC stuff hung in the same manner as the wood when using it on a ceiling?

Not to start a PVC vs. wood debate, but has anyone had any success using wood in a bathroom setting?
So many questions I have!!!

Thanks again to those who have replied. I really am starting to reconsider my original plans -- so your input has been helpful.
laluck76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement