Bathtub Refinishing Gone Bad - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bathtub refinishing gone bad

We hired someone to do handyman work for our company and told us he could refinish a bathtub, we bought the kit and he did a horrible job. After 2 days the tub is still sticky and not 100% dry, you can see where the paint streams are on the top where it was too thick? and just ran down the tub and the bubbles that occur but suppose to go away because it is self leveling is there after 3 days also. Because of the bubbles it also is not a smooth surface.

I have to obviously do something. I read that I could use 400-600 grit wet sand paper to sand it down and hopefully do the process again? I need help tell me what I can do on my own to correct it without having to replace the bathtub.
help me!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2012, 04:27 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

They are getting harder to find but there are tub refinishers that know what they are doing. Those kits seldom work out well.

Can the tub be taken out and sandblasted or something? What is the tub made of? Are you sure it is worth restoring like an old clawfoot or something?

I have mixed emotions about them but some of those bathroom companies that do overlay restorations do decent and nice looking work. They are what they are but some have decent warranties.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Yikes! You are a brave person. I would try to call a professional company - the one we use is called Ark. They are out of Chicago - if you are not in Chicago, you may want to call them to see if they know of someone in your area (773-763-6600 or [email protected]).

It usually takes about a week for a professional tub refinish to cure. With all the chemicals involved with this, I'm not sure if using a kit is the right way to go.

While the premise is simple, the tub-liners have been an industry problem. If there is not a secure seal at the tub drain, water can get between the liner and the tub, creating a haven for mold and bacteria. In my professional opinion, the refinishing process is the way to go. If it is done correctly, you can see up to 10 years of use.

Stephanie Bullwinkel, CBD
Imperial Kitchens and Baths, Inc. - Brookfield, IL
imperial is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to imperial For This Useful Post:
user1007 (05-16-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I never liked the idea of "painting" a bathtub. There's a big difference between the way the paint was originally applied in the factory (baked in using high temperature) and what is essentially a cover-up with many restrictions (what cleaner you can/can't use, can't use kid stickers, can't bath pets with nails, etc. etc.). Do it right and replace the tub. If you can't do it now, save your $$ until you can. You'd appreciate it more in the long haul, and improve the equity in your home if you do it right.
leonki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement