Bathroom Walls What Wall Substrate Should I Use???? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JPeters
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By mark sr

Old 05-21-2019, 11:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 368
Question

Bathroom Walls What wall substrate should I use????

HELLO EVERYONE

I am about to start the build of a shower. The Plan has been for a while to buy all Kerdi products.

This old house has movement in the exterior wall even with my new lateral bracing and rat run installed. NOT A TON BUT ENOUGH TO BE WORRIED ABOUT.

WITH THAT SAID.... Has anyone in here put a Kerdi pan and Hardi walls up?
If so can yo give me a detailed run through of the issues you had to overcome. etc.

I keep getting side tracked with windows, walls, doors and horse shoes. BUT! the shower will be coming soon. I just would really love the insight on the issue.
Nealtw likes this.
JPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 11:44 AM   #2

Re: Bathroom Walls What wall substrate should I use????

@Neattw A simple bathroom addition has turned into a complete gut of the whole place!! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 11:47 AM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,838

Been there done that.
JPeters likes this.
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 06:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,494

Not sure but 1/2" ply on the inside of the bath wall? This will brace at least that wall. Or if enough space, build a separate braced wall and let the old wall move independently.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:11 AM   #5
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,432

I remodeled our full bath last summer. What I did on the shower was use a 'plastic' base secured to plywood on the back wall and studs on the other two walls. I then installed roofing felt and cement board. Used subway tile.

My wife really likes the new bath rm although she claims it took too long - both the yrs it took me to get started and the time spent doing the work.
JPeters likes this.
mark sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #6

I have already Lowered the floor to work out transition issues when using the kerdi shower pan.
The shower will be a curb-less shower stall.
I am wondering about the walls: Because it is an exterior wall and an older home i feel like there will be movement in the 2x4 wall.

I am wondering if anyone has used the kerdi pan with hardi walls and how they married the 2 systems together to make it truly waterproof.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:41 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,700

You "marry" the 2 "systems" by simply covering the Hardibacker with Kerdi membrane. But this is really no better than using drywall with Kerdi, which is what I always do.

Why do you feel there will be movement in the walls after all these years? Unless the house is truly unstable, most movement should be finished. Or are you talking about some kind of oscillation or wobble or vibration in the structure, as opposed to "movement" where the walls separate 1/8" over the course of a year or something?
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hardiboard , kerdi walls , shower base , wet areas