Bathroom Wall, Is CBU Directly Over Plywood OK? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2016, 07:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Bathroom Wall, Is CBU directly over plywood OK?

Hello all, first timer here. I'll keep it to the point.

Old-ish house (early 1970s), discovered plywood on all three walls surrounding shower when removing old tile. Can I just screw CBU directly over this old plywood without using thinset in between?

Thank you for any responses!

Last edited by ChuckHammer; 02-17-2016 at 07:12 PM. Reason: oddly stated sentence
ChuckHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 306

I wouldn't. The thinset is meant to fill any voids behind the CBU. If you leave it out, and if the plywood isn't perfectly flat (which it probably isn't), the wall could flex and crack the tile and/or grout.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 09:16 PM   #3

jproffer. Ok. Then I need to remove all the old plywood and sister new studs to the old studs to get back the 1/2 in of plywood (actually more than 1/2 in). I was trying to avoid having to do this. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 09:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 306

I dunno about that....

If the plywood is in good shape and tight, thinset and CBU over the top of it. On a wall, flex isn't such a problem, but it's still possible.
jproffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:03 PM   #5

You're right, it's not high quality ply. I think I'm going to remove it. What I didn't mention was that on top of the plywood was 1/2" drywall, then on top of the drywall was some kind of board I had no idea what it was (1/2" as well). I took a piece of it to my local hardware store and they didn't know what it was either. It is brown in color and crumbled like a kind of clay. On top of this mystery material was the tile. So I need to add 1" of furring or add sister studs to get flush with the wall. Leaving the old ply in would make an easier job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement