Bathroom Vent Fan Ductwork - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 119

Bathroom vent fan ductwork

Doing some work in the bathroom and replacing the vent fan. Went up in the attic to disconnect ducts and noticed this. The fan I am replacing is nearest in the pic. The long duct on the right is coming from a downstairs fan. The two 3" ducts empty into a 6" "collector" that lines up with a roof vent. There isn't any sort of seal between the 6" and the roof because it's just a normal roof vent and does not have any connections for a bathroom fan.

Should I be concerned about moisture venting into the attic instead of outside? I've got another bathroom fan about 6 feet to the right that has flexible plastic duct and is connected to a vent made for a bathroom fan. Am I better off teeing into that vent duct? I'd like to avoid cutting any more holes in my roof if possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom vent fan ductwork-image-3696430447.jpg  
scottyv81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2015, 10:08 PM   #2

Connection to roof vent.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom vent fan ductwork-image-2648698478.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 12:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,652

That whole mess is a mess. Unless they used a vent made for Dryer/Fart Fans. Those of us that cannot see your roof through the Internet. You need to post it.

It is fine to use the Metal duct from the fart fan to the exhaust. If you want to keep the metal from causing steam to condense, you can get insulation wraps.

I just used 4" insulated flex duct for my bath fan, then have it connected to a double flapper vent on the side of the house.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 12:41 AM   #4

You do need some more insulation up there btw.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 17,884

They also used duct tape not foil tape, as you can see duct tape just does not work.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:34 PM   #6

Here's a pic from the roof. The big metal duct with the two 3" metal ducts feeding into it is connected to the roof vent on the right. It's a standard roof vent. No duct connection on the inside. The fan in the master bath with the flexible duct is connected to the vent on the left. That one does have a duct connection and a flapper. The fart fan is entertaining btw. The wife got a good laugh. I also need insulation for sure since it was probably installed in 1972. 3" of cellulose in an attic in northern IL doesn't make for an efficient house.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom vent fan ductwork-image-765856996.jpg  
Old 06-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #7

Massive heads slap.

I feel for you. If you have more than one bathroom. They do make units that use a remote fan unit. A whole lot quieter than conventional units.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:45 PM   #8

Right now the main bathroom and guest bathroom fans are tied together to the roof vent and the master bathroom fan goes to the actual fan vent. Am I better off teeing the main fan that I'm replacing into the master bath fan that goes to an actual fan vent? The guest bathroom is just a toilet/sink so moisture really isn't a concern if I leave it connected to the roof vent.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #9

I would go with just the one vent that is up there, with a remote fan unit, and the two boxes at each bath with the duct to the main fan. That would mean putting in a couple of junction boxes to get the switch wiring to where it needs to go.

I used insulated 4" flex duct for my bath, when I had my house re-sided. If you want to compare the price on the units between amazon and direct from the big box store. You may find some savings on going through Amazon. The duct work may be a little more. I paid $60 for 25' of flex duct, that I only needed about 6 feet of.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement