Bathroom Vanity Conversion To Double - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2014, 09:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

bathroom vanity conversion to double

I'm planning to convert my single vanity to a double in our master bathroom. However, there are a few challenges I have.
1. There is a wall on both sides of the vanity. The space wall to wall is 59.75".
2. The current setup is a 30" base cabinet on the left and a 29.75" drawer on the right. The drain comes out the wall and is 14.25" from left wall to center of drain.
3. Can I get a 24" cabinet, a 12" set of drawers and another 24" cabinet to fit in this space? Maybe have to take a router to couple of edges to take off the 1/4" needed to fit?
4. Will the drain on the left work in its current position?
5. I will have to tear into the wall and tie in the other drain and supply lines correct?
6. The granite top we want is 61" wide. Can I cut 5/8" off of each side to make it 59.75"? Or, should I take it to a shop to have it cut?

Thanks!
AndyH24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 170

I would suggest measuring and drawing it all out to see if it all seems like it will work. If the cabinets are able to fit into the space physically, you can probably make it work. My only thought is to find 3 different pieces to fill the space that match and all line up nicely may not be easy.

Here is some feedback on a few specific questions.

3.) If you can make it work, great. But my comments above apply.

4.)If you can get the right elbow's and extensions on so it can flow a little bit of added distance shouldn't be an issue. I don't know this for certain, but I have seen a large vanity where the drain was on the opposite side and they used PVC to get things over without an issue.

5.) The supply lines can easily be extended by buying the flexible pipe that goes from the supply to the faucet, just get the length you need to reach. For the drain as mentioned in #4 it should work if you get it to set properly and don't pitch it the wrong way.

6.) They sell router bits that can cut granite, but they aren't cheap. It may be cheaper to just let the shop cut it. If you attempt to cut it and it messes up you'll be mad and will probably then have to have the shop cut it anyways and then may end up with a shorter piece and a larger caulk line. Here is a bit if you want to go that route, but research more since I've never used one, only know they exist:
http://www.amazon.com/Demi-bullnose-.../dp/B004PCMGAQ

Good luck.
HandyFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement