Bathroom Subfloor Sloping - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By calebpinter

Old 06-18-2018, 07:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

bathroom subfloor sloping

Hello,

I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel. During my demo I went ahead and tore out the subfloor and as I went to install OSB I noticed that it is going to slope about 1/2" across the 5' width of the bathroom. I'm wondering what options I have to fix this. I have 4 joists total, the first 2 are pretty level, the 3rd dips a little bit but the 4th is a lot lower. The joist that is a lot lower was previously notched out to accommodate the bathtub and no additional support was added to help share the load from the notched beam so I'm guessing that this is most of the problem.
calebpinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 07:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,890

Re: bathroom subfloor sloping

Please post a picture so we can see what your seeing.
That may make it easier to make suggestions on how to fix this right.
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 07:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 944

You can always shim the joists as needed. The only problem with this approach is if your doorway is in a low spot...then you have to raise the bathroom floor higher than the hallway or whatever.
Marson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 07:37 AM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,776

Depending on the direction of the tub and the length of the floor joists, that notched joist may have little load on it. How close to the walls did you cut the floor, will that be a problem when you raise the floor. You can just sister 2x? to the sides of the joist to the new level or cut sleepers to go on the old to level them.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #5

Pictures attached. The room slopes towards the corner that the red arrow is pointing towards. I spent more time measuring this evening and it looks like I'm actually sloping about 3/4 inch.

As shown in the photo, I removed the entire subfloor up until the walls. My subfloor was just 2x6's laying diagonally and about half of the subfloor was rotted so I was concerned that the subfloor wouldn't have enough support if I only replaced half of it. The blue arrows are 2x4's I added to support the new subfloor. I figured they wouldn't be supporting a lot of weight at the edges so I could get by with 2x4's. I stopped adding blocks once I realized the floor wasn't level.

It seems like the 2 easiest options would be to either add shims or fasten 2x6's to the existing 2x6's at the height I need to make the floor level. The joists that are underneath the door are currently level and don't need to be raised so I imagine that either option would be ok? If I were to fasten 2x6's to the existing 2x6's at the desired height, would they be able to support the load of the floor?
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom subfloor sloping-img_20180618_192530.jpg   bathroom subfloor sloping-img_20180618_192621.jpg  
Old 06-18-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
retired framer

On the back wall below the flashlight put a 2x6 half under the wall and screw thru the bottom plate to support that all the way across and air seal that joint. Use construction glue with all this.
The wall on the left looks like you have added to the joist and that will be fine.
The wall on the right should have a new joist under the wall to support the wall. If old are full 2x6, you want to find a very dry 2x8 and cut it to size then you could sister to that.
If you can't get that back joist in one piece then some fancy cutting to cut the sister to be at the full new height and fit under the ends to make it a full supported joist and then add blocks behind that to support the wall with the new one.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:31 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
On the back wall below the flashlight put a 2x6 half under the wall and screw thru the bottom plate to support that all the way across and air seal that joint.
There's no flashlight so I assume you are referring to the drill? Are you suggesting that I place a 2x6 half between my foundation wall and the bathroom wall perpendicular to the current joists (see red line in uploaded photo)? My joists run through that space so I won't be able to run 1 2x6 perpendicular to the current joists although since that back wall is supported by the joists I'm guessing this isn't necessary?

Use construction glue with all this.
The wall on the left looks like you have added to the joist and that will be fine.

Quote:
The wall on the right should have a new joist under the wall to support the wall. If old are full 2x6, you want to find a very dry 2x8 and cut it to size then you could sister to that.
If you can't get that back joist in one piece then some fancy cutting to cut the sister to be at the full new height and fit under the ends to make it a full supported joist and then add blocks behind that to support the wall with the new one.
Ok, I can add a new joist under the right wall but I only have space for a 2x6 between the current foundation and the wall. If I add a 2x8 it will just be attached to the the joist that is underneath the wall. You can't see it in the photo but 11 inches to the right of the right most joist I have 2 2x6's running across parallel to the current joists. I guess what I think you're suggesting is that I place a joist directly underneath the right wall and then sister a joist at the desired height to that newly installed joist. Is that correct? If so I think I'll have to use a 2x6 so that I can support it on the foundation underneath the back wall in the photo. If I do sister a joist at that point at the desired height, I assume that I need to shim the other joists so that my OSB can rest on all joists, correct?
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom subfloor sloping-img_20180618_192530.jpg  
Old 06-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #8
retired framer

@calebpinter , I was thinking drill when I wrote it..
red line... blocks on the flat to support the end f your new plywood and block air from coming in or out..
On the left , lots of screws or nails, pass on the glue there will be fine.
I missed the wall where you are standing at the doer to take the picture.
2x6 blocks on the flat half under the wall like the far wall with glue.

The red arrow....I would like to see the wall supports with a new joist if possible.
Does the subfloor go under that wall?
Is there room for a joist with the pipe there?
Is the floor in the next room sagged there.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Does the subfloor go under that wall?
Is there room for a joist with the pipe there?
Is the floor in the next room sagged there.
Old subfloor is underneath that wall right now so new subfloor would not pass underneath the wall where red arrow is pointing. I don't think I could fit a joist all the way across with that white pipe there. I have a joist right behind that white pipe. I'm not sure if the floor in the next room is sagged. It is not visibly sagged but it may have a slope as well. I would have to check with a level when I get home.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #10
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebpinter View Post
Old subfloor is underneath that wall right now so new subfloor would not pass underneath the wall where red arrow is pointing. I don't think I could fit a joist all the way across with that white pipe there. I have a joist right behind that white pipe. I'm not sure if the floor in the next room is sagged. It is not visibly sagged but it may have a slope as well. I would have to check with a level when I get home.
OK if you have a full length joint under that wall behind the pipe good.
That takes care of the wall support.

So now you want to add something to this side level with not much to attach to.
Flush below this edge of the wall add blocking on edge, screw down thru the wall plate with glue. That will give you a flat surface to add your level piece like the other side.
Unless you could run another joist in front of the wall from the foundation to the beam.

Last edited by Nealtw; 06-19-2018 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #11

Quote:
OK if you have a full length joint under that wall behind the pipe good.
That takes care of the wall support.

So now you want to add something to this side level with not much to attach to.
Flush below this edge of the wall add blocking on edge, screw down thru the wall plate with glue. That will give you a flat surface to add your level piece like the other side.
Unless you could run another joist in front of the wall from the foundation to the beam.
So my thought is that I could place a joist next to the right most joist at the height I need (remove blocks in blue arrows) and then add shims to middle joints if needed to bring to the needed level. If I bolted my added joist to the joist next to it then I would think that it would be able to support the weight of the floor. Does that seem reasonable? My concern with this is that the right wall is probably going to be shorter than my left wall due to the dip. Will this cause problems when I begin tiling or installing shower door?
Old 06-19-2018, 01:11 PM   #12
retired framer

Quote:
So my thought is that I could place a joist next to the right most joist at the height I need (remove blocks in blue arrows) and then add shims to middle joints if needed to bring to the needed level. If I bolted my added joist to the joist next to it then I would think that it would be able to support the weight of the floor. Does that seem reasonable? My concern with this is that the right wall is probably going to be shorter than my left wall due to the dip. Will this cause problems when I begin tiling or installing shower door?
That is why I was asking about support for the wall, you could check the level of the ceiling. Just draw a level line across the studs and measure to the top.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #13

Quote:
That is why I was asking about support for the wall, you could check the level of the ceiling. Just draw a level line across the studs and measure to the top.
I'll check when I get home from work. If raising my subfloor to make it level results in one wall being shorter than other, is there anything I can do besides jack up my wall to address this?
Old 06-19-2018, 01:39 PM   #14
retired framer

Quote:
I'll check when I get home from work. If raising my subfloor to make it level results in one wall being shorter than other, is there anything I can do besides jack up my wall to address this?
That would be it or don't plan on tiling close to the sealing.
The good news is you are aware of it now and it is not a surprize later.

It appears you are above a crawl space so lifting the wall would not be a huge deal.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #15

Quote:
That would be it or don't plan on tiling close to the sealing.
The good news is you are aware of it now and it is not a surprize later.

It appears you are above a crawl space so lifting the wall would not be a huge deal.
Yea, that's correct. I've already had to jack up another section of my house so I could do it again but hoping to avoid that.
Nealtw likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bathroom , slope , subfloor , uneven