Bathroom Sub Floor Question - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 24

Bathroom sub floor question

I was wondering if its possible to raise the subfloor in a bathroom.

Bought a 1942 cape cod with a small original bath that isn't being used because its equipped with a walk in tub. Have a second full bath with a tub and showerhead that we use.

To get into the original bathroom you cross a raised stair landing. Its an 8" rise from the living room to stairway landing, and a 7.5" drop into the bathroom. I would like to make the bathroom floor even with the stairway landing. The current bathroom floor to ceiling is 8' 5" so i have room to raise the floor but I'm not sure how difficult it would be.

When we start this project it will be a complete renovation. It will be completely gutted and brought into the current century standards.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
VaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2017, 01:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,110

Re: Bathroom sub floor question

I would pretty much be a total gut now as you would have to raise the stool and sink if not the tub as well. I would live with it until you're ready for that.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2017, 01:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 24

Well, its the next project on list. We just finished renovating the top floor, now we'd like to have a useable shower closer to the bedrooms. Thinking about a stand up type.

VaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,792

I would think you could just run new joists either right above the old or in the other direction. What you are doing to finish the floor would dictate the thickness of the subfloor and that would dictate the height of the joists.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaBob View Post
I was wondering if its possible to raise the subfloor in a bathroom.

Bought a 1942 cape cod with a small original bath that isn't being used because its equipped with a walk in tub. Have a second full bath with a tub and showerhead that we use.

To get into the original bathroom you cross a raised stair landing. Its an 8" rise from the living room to stairway landing, and a 7.5" drop into the bathroom. I would like to make the bathroom floor even with the stairway landing. The current bathroom floor to ceiling is 8' 5" so i have room to raise the floor but I'm not sure how difficult it would be.

When we start this project it will be a complete renovation. It will be completely gutted and brought into the current century standards.

What are your thoughts?

I would totally raise it to match. Little bit of plumbing but much more logical idea. Build up your joists figuring in flooring and just do it

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
teecherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement