Bathroom Shower Re-tile, Pan Redo - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 85

Bathroom shower re-tile, pan redo

I'm pretty handy but I've never done any tile or shower work. My wife has helped with one and is also pretty handy.

About a month or so ago we stopped using our master shower as we noticed water damage just outside of it near the floor. There was a tile that was cracked just inside it that we knew about. There was actually at least three tiles cracked in three different locations that we knew about. Yeah, we suck. We've used the shower for about three years now with those cracks always thinking we'd get to replace the tile soon... not sure how long they were there before we bought the house.

This past weekend I got in there with a hammer and knocked down most of the tile. In areas where the green board was water damaged I tore it off. I've got some questions and I'm hoping you experts can assist.

1) We are planning on removing the rest of the green board off the wall with the shower head, the large wall with the window, and only about the lower half of the other small wall. The rest of that wall and ceiling seems pretty strong and in-tact. Do you recommend replacing all of it and if not, will the leftover dried mud cause problems with adhesion or leveling of the new tile?

2) We are on a slab. The shower pan/slab is lower than the rest of the house. About level with the patio that it's connected to, so I'd imagine it was one pour. The tile came off easy from the walls, but not so easy from the pan. Cold chisel and hammer away at it?

3) My wife wants to have the seat removed. I started working on it thinking it was framed out 2x4s. Nope. Looks like one big chunk of concrete that may be poured as part of the slab/pan. They have backer board behind it. I don't get it. Do I whack at it with a sledge until it's below the level of the existing pan?

Any further tips would be appreciated... we have another operational shower so we're taking it step by step to make sure we do it right... first step is finishing the demo.

BrandonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement