Bathroom Remodeling - To Gut Or Not To Gut. - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By chandler48
  • 1 Post By Guap0_

Old 03-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Bathroom Remodeling - To Gut or Not to Gut.

Question (several questions I guess)..

We are planning to remodel the bathroom in our 1962 built Ranch. The current bathroom is pretty much original.

The current layout has a pink tub (60x30...) and separate tile shower (36x36) with a dividing wall in between on one side. The opposite side has a 22x70" vanity with a soffit in the ceiling for recessed lighting. then the toilet (also pink).

The plan is to gut the shower and tub area (there is likely some sub floor work to be done under the shower) and replace with a Whirlpool Tub / Shower combo (60x36) and stacked laundry in the old shower stall.
Then remove the soffit over the vanity, replace the vanity with a 60x18, related electrical work needed and replace the toilet, ect..

My question involves drywall work..

Existing wall material is drywall with plaster top coat with some kind of sand texture.

I'm planning for contractors to do the bulk of the work..

From a budget stand point..

Should I settle on replacing what needs to be replaced for drywall and texture to match existing, or tear out all drywall and start fresh?
(This is what we did at the bathroom in my old house.. but this project is larger bigger)

It seems to me that it is the same (or maybe less work) to gut and start fresh vs cut/patch/blend/make it look decent?.

Plus we have a visual of what is in all the walls - adjust any insulation needs in the walls, we know that moisture resistant materials are going in for the future, ect..

Plus trying to sift through the debate of moisture resistant drywall vs cement board around the shower area (and ceiling)..

Another question.. for the ceiling.. We'd like to move the bathroom vent to be adjacent to the new shower head which involves cut and patch there too.. (I believe the attic has blown in insulation, so that'd be a pain to deal with).. But might be worth it in the end to avoid headache down the road.

Thoughts?

~Ian
learmoia79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Bathroom Remodeling - To Gut or Not to Gut.

There isn't much cost difference between partial drywall replacement & total drywall replacement. When you say vent, is there a fan or just a vent. If there is a fan , does it vent outside or only in an attic?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,640

I agree with a total gut. That way you can correct any 50 year old electrical, plumbing or venting issues and cover it all back up seamlessly. You can insulate the outside and inside walls as well (for sound transmission)

At least yours wasn't this bad:
Attached Images

firehawkmph and Otto W like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guap0_ View Post
There isn't much cost difference between partial drywall replacement & total drywall replacement. When you say vent, is there a fan or just a vent. If there is a fan , does it vent outside or only in an attic?
By Vent, I mean exhaust fan and I believe it pipes through to the ceiling.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
I agree with a total gut. That way you can correct any 50 year old electrical, plumbing or venting issues and cover it all back up seamlessly. You can insulate the outside and inside walls as well (for sound transmission)

At least yours wasn't this bad:
It actually looks very similar (but pink).. I think its the same model of Tub and Toilet. Had ours been green, I think my wife would want to save it. (She hates pink)

Thanks for the info.. ~Ian
Old 03-07-2018, 07:48 AM   #6
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

If you totally gut it, may I recommend a Hans Grohe shower body. It remembers the temperature of your last shower.

The pink has to go. It's actually a dangerous color. It has a calming effect for 15 minutes. After that, it has the opposite effect. I saw an interview wtih some state troopers. If they arrest someone who is flying off the handle, they put him in a pink room for only 15 minutes.
Nealtw likes this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement