Bathroom Remodel Taking To Long - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom Remodel taking to long

I am remodeling the master bedroom bathroom. Thanks to the plumbing company that said they fixed the leak and it was never done right. For months water leaked and damaged the studs, drywall and whatever else it could find. They said they would fix it all, then they went back on there word. So I went ahead and started doing it myself. I have never done anything like this before. So far it has been easy.

I had a tile shower that I took out. That was the easy part. Now I can't get the tile on the floor to come up. It is a cement floor and the tile is right on top of that. I am having to move a non load bearing wall to make room for the larger shower pan. I have studs to replace, a new wall to build and a storage closet to put in, these are all the easy parts. What can I do about the ugly tile floor. I have tried a tile remover tool, a pry bar and a sludge hammer. Still it wont come up. I want to try to have this bathroom done in the next week or two.

Thanks!!!
southernmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Often ceramic on concrete needs to be beaten to a powder--sorry,if they cant be popped of in big pieces you need to don your gloves and goggles and pound them into dust.--Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 11:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Often ceramic on concrete needs to be beaten to a powder--sorry,if they cant be popped of in big pieces you need to don your gloves and goggles and pound them into dust.--Mike--
I was afraid of that. My friend who is a carpenter/plumber is coming over tomorrow to cut the drain down for me, maybe he can beat the tile to a powder too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Never seen a tile that couldn't be removed from concrete. It can be done.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
Ultimatetouch

Rewards Points: 25

I hate to here those stories. I have to agree with Bud that I never seen a tile that couldnt be removed. If I had to pound my tiles till they turned into dust I think I would sell my house. Bathroom remodeling in two weeks? Good luck.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. I went to Robin's Rent today and talked to the guys there. I rented this tool, I have no idea what it is called but it is getting the job done. It is about the size of a reciprocating saw. It has a bit and it breaks the tile up from the cement floor. This thing is a god sent. It has made this so easy that I could do it with my eyes closed.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 462

Sounds like a power chisel. I know what you mean by a project taking too long. The sad reality is that there are so many other things that come up and draw us away from these projects. I've had many interruptions during the course of this project http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/jims-...project-66655/ . As you can see, I started this in March.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #8

I'm hoping to have this done by the end of next week (fingers crossed). The biggest speed bump I ran into was my brother in law being in a motorcycle accident. Now that he has been moved out of the ICU I can get to working more hours on my bathroom. But then I have my wonderful 4 year old daughter who wants to help mommy fix the bathroom. Looks like she will spend her week at daycare so I can get this done.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 462

My seven-year-old has "helped" me a lot. I will usually let him do a little of what I am doing. I guide his actions with hand over hand. He has combed thinset, placed tiles, floated grout and even mudded drywall this way. His teacher was amazed at how much he knows at his age especially considering he is learning disabled. The crisis you mentioned with your brother is the sort of thing I have going on a lot.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement