Bathroom Remodel Questions....caulk...mastic - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By czizzi
  • 1 Post By chandler48

Old 06-18-2018, 06:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152

bathroom remodel questions....caulk...mastic

Hello,

We hired a contractor to gut our bathroom while we were on vacation. chose him because he has 30 years experience, older man, and good ratings/reviews

i come to find out he used mastic to tile the greenboard in the shower, which i heard was a no go....how much do I really need to worry?

also there is gaps in the silicone and grout, he is coming tomorrow to look.

In the corners where the side walls meet the back wall he placed clear caulk over the grout....im worried it may mold in between the grout and caulk, is this standard procedure to do this? if not why would he do this?

i feel like i am being to picky...i attached pictures of the caulk over the grout, and the gap which is the first two pictures then I will attach other misc pictures like where the tile is cracked and shower doors scratched the tile...it looks great, then close up you see the imperfections...also one of the mosaics is on almost a 45 degree angle as shown in side shot but looks fine straight on

i am handy but after paying 7,000 in labor he should do it, not me

I have only paid half so far, I am no confrontational but I am thinking of not giving him the other half until it looks perfect

there is also a cracked tile where the shower doors were screwed in!
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom remodel questions....caulk...mastic-caulk.jpg   bathroom remodel questions....caulk...mastic-gap.jpg   bathroom remodel questions....caulk...mastic-mosaic.jpg   bathroom remodel questions....caulk...mastic-mosaic2.jpg   bathroom remodel questions....caulk...mastic-scratch.jpg  

bathroom remodel questions....caulk...mastic-finished.jpg  

Last edited by ny86yanks; 06-18-2018 at 06:40 PM.
ny86yanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 07:00 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,594

Re: bathroom remodel questions....caulk...mastic

The grout job is less than what you should expect. It is not uniform, not smoothed out, and he certainly should not have used clear silicone in the corners. He should have used a color coordinated sanded grout caulk, instead. Any cracked tile should be replaced, not ignored. Using mastic with such large format tile is definitely a disaster waiting to happen, and putting it all on greenboard will only speed up the process. Overall he could have done it right the first time and not have to do it all over again. Sorry for the bad report.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 07:04 PM   #3

not much i can do now

its done

he texted me for the other half and i told him we had to meet in person so i could show him the concerns first
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2018, 07:18 PM   #4
Naildriver

At least he is aware there are problems. The pictures you posted have neon signs pointing out the glaring boogers. Not sure what he can, or is able to do about it, but it ain't right. And with the mastic and greenboard, it won't get better.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:27 PM   #5

i know that mastic and greenboard is controversial...ive also read stories of zero issues.....the bucket said ok for shower walls not floors

so i do agree with you that it was not the best thing to use but i am more concerned with the caulk over the grout in the corners, i wont be able to clean between the grout and caulk....

thanks for replying

im just very frustrated....$7,000 labor for 5 days of work and there are cracked tiles, scratched tiles, gaps in the grout...etc

i dont know what can be done but if he is a good guy he will replace the defective tiles and regrout the gaps...if not I have his money...
Old 06-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #6
Home Repairer

Rewards Points: 468

Green board is only approved for use with a membrane such as Kerdi. Direct tile to green board in a shower is not best practice. He should have used cement board. Also, mastic is NOT rated for wet locations and is NOT rated for tile over 6x6 I believe (maybe 8x8), but certainly not for the large format tile used in your shower.

So, aside from the grout issues, I see everything else as being wrong. Keep your checkbook hidden until this is resolved.
ny86yanks likes this.
czizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:40 PM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,478

We built a lot of house for builders that sell them as fast as there are finished and most get nothing but white drywall, the tile companies quite with the Redgard when they discovered the contract installers were leaving that out too. I would just make sure you seal it on a schedule along with a good inspection of the grout. It was standard 30 years ago any many are still good.
Nealtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:47 PM   #8

thanks.....he is coming tomorrow to look at his grout job

he even had the nerve to tell me to polish the tiles to get the grout off, which ive done before and is easy but why should i do that?

insane times we are living in

im really perplexed over the use of the caulk over the grout in the corners how the hell am i going to clean that
Old 06-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #9
Naildriver

Not only cleaning the corners, but every plane change will crack with grout in it. That is why I suggested using grout caulk. It will give and take when the planes move in different directions.
ny86yanks likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement