Bathroom Remodel Pony Wall Threshold Thickness - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2018, 02:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22

bathroom remodel pony wall threshold thickness

Hey,

I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel and am converting my bathtub to a walk in shower. I've done all of the framing, laid my first layer of cement in the shower, and I'm about to put in my shower liner and pour the mortar for my shower threshold but as I prepared to do this I began to have some doubts. My original plan was to use 1/2 inch wonder board for my pony wall just like I'd be doing for my shower walls. My threshold is right next to my pony wall so if I use just use mortar for my threshold and wonder board for my pony wall then I imagine that my pony wall will ultimately be thicker than my threshold where they meet and it will look strange. From what I've seen, everyone does the threshold by adding liner first, metal lath, and then mortar. I'm wondering what is typically done to ensure that pony wall and threshold are the same thickness when they are built next to each other?
calebpinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,660

Re: bathroom remodel pony wall threshold thickness

Just checking some small things. You did convert your 1 1/2" tub drain to a complete 2" drain. You are packing in your sand mix for the preslope and the slope, correct? You do not "pour" concrete for these.

Generally the berms for showers are built of 3 each 2x4's PT stacked on each other. Different schools, different methodology, but I build the berm, line it and DUrock with redgard, prior to tile.

Post photos of what you have done so far so we can see what you see. Marrying the wall and berm should be simple, but may not depending on your construction.

Last edited by chandler48; 07-08-2018 at 02:45 PM.
chandler48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #3

Yea I converted the drain to 2 inch.

So I used quikrete sand tipping mix and added some sand for the preslope. I did pack it but in retrospect I think it was too aqueous. I havent added the liner or the final layer of sand topping mix yet.

I've done three 2x4s for my threshold. Haven't done anything for the threshold or pony wall yet. See attached picture for where I'm at at the moment.
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom remodel pony wall threshold thickness-img_20180708_144908_1531080047153.jpg  

Last edited by calebpinter; 07-08-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
Just checking some small things. You did convert your 1 1/2" tub drain to a complete 2" drain. You are packing in your sand mix for the preslope and the slope, correct? You do not "pour" concrete for these.

Generally the berms for showers are built of 3 each 2x4's PT stacked on each other. Different schools, different methodology, but I build the berm, line it and DUrock with redgard, prior to tile.

Post photos of what you have done so far so we can see what you see. Marrying the wall and berm should be simple, but may not depending on your construction.
So I guess I see two ways to make everything flush. 1) use cement board and a topical membrane such as redguard for both pony wall and shower curb and they will be flush. 2) use cement board and topical membrane for pony wall but use lath and mortar for curb. If this is done, mortar will need to be ~ 7/16" thick on the sides so that they are flush with the cement board.

Are either of these options ok?
Old 07-08-2018, 07:54 PM   #5
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,660

Yes, door #2 is the most viable, and you can make it match. Good looking shower, BTW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
curb , half wall , knee wall , pony wall , threshold