Bathroom Remodel - Get Permits? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Californiadecks
  • 2 Post By joecaption
  • 2 Post By MTN REMODEL LLC
  • 1 Post By Erico
  • 1 Post By ktmrider
  • 1 Post By Bud9051

Old 04-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 152
Question

Bathroom Remodel - Get Permits?

Hi all,
How's it going? Hey, I am planning a bathroom remodel, and a lot of contractors I have talked to advise against getting permits, I'm thinking "WHAT??", I have seen on TV 1000x Mike Holmes say "you were ripped off because you didn't get a permit", is that the black and white of it? I am in Chicago suburbs, I would like to do some of the things myself, the demo for sure, and maybe tiling...

Thanks!
donste2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2017, 04:28 PM   #2
General contractor/carpen

Rewards Points: 1,000

Re: Bathroom Remodel - Get Permits?

Getting a permit doesn't constitute better work. That's a common misconception. It doesn't even guarantee code compliant. I've seen some pretty hideous work that was permitted and inspected. I look at it and think, wth was he thinking when he passed this?

However, your insurance may not pay on any claim for unapproved work.

MTN REMODEL LLC (04-04-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiadecks View Post
Getting a permit doesn't constitute better work. That's a common misconception. It doesn't even guarantee code compliant. I've seen some pretty hideous work that was permitted and inspected. I look at it and think, wth was he thinking when he passed this?

However, your insurance may not pay on any claim for unapproved work.

lol Love your profile pic!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,890

What do you concider a "remodel"?
No licensed real contractor I know of would by pass getting a permit and inspections of a total remodel unless they were trying to get away with something.
donste2010 and Bud9051 like this.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #5

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
What do you concider a "remodel"?
No licensed real contractor I know of would by pass getting a permit and inspections of a total remodel unless they were trying to get away with something.
Thanks!

Yeah we are moving plumbing, electrical, ceiling fan, but no wall reconfiguration...

Old 04-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 17,890

Then you need a permit.
How old is this house?
Modern codes call for 12-2 wiring, GFI outlet, dedicated circuits to each bathroom.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:21 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Then you need a permit.
How old is this house?
Modern codes call for 12-2 wiring, GFI outlet, dedicated circuits to each bathroom.
Thanks Joe!

The house is from 1993 so no issues there, already has GFI, and I guess the 12-2?

Old 04-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #8
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,050

Don210....

Although the law requires a permit, I think you ask a legitimate question.

I won't, and I doubt anyone on here will tell you not to get a permit....

But the facts are that many people do not, and many have no subsequent problems.

Some Pro/Cons:

As Cali points out, many mistakes/errors are not caught by inspectors, and actually I have had quite a few actually require/advise incorrectly.... and depending on your jurisdiction, many can be a plain beuracratic PIA with egregious incorrect interpertation of some subjective areas of code, and some enforcing some pretty mundane technical requirements that are a matter of inches location of a recep box when framing considerations dictate otherwise.)

But others, can be plain helpfull, with good reasonable advice, and they do perform a good function in keeping "shortcut" contractors at bay. Some are a good friend, others are little building Natzi's.

How confident are you in your selection of the contractor.

There is an economic decision involved in that permitting can significantly increase your costs.... 1) actual fees and drawings and time in submission 2) delays and time costs of your contractor in arranginging and downtime waiting on inspections,,, 3)enforcement of certain code changes that were fine last several code cycles and worked fine but as soon as you touch the application, you have to bring up to current code...

I have heard that insurance could renig on a claim if they knew you did the work and not under permit, but I personnally have never actually known of such instance.

And in resale, there are a few potential buyers that may have concern with suspect work for which they can not find a permit filed... I have had personal experience with this in my own home (I had a slew of permits and my buyer did a thorough inspection.... our County had great inspectors and reasonable rates) and I had two aquantences that had a real problem in selling due to lack of permitted work.

Have I done unpermitted work... my lack of a response may indicate something..... have I ever run into a problem.... No.

But, the law is pretty clear in almost all jurisdictions, however the degree of enforcement will vary alot by locale.

Good luck with your decision.

Best
donste2010 and ZZZZZ like this.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:01 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by donste2010 View Post
Thanks Joe!

The house is from 1993 so no issues there, already has GFI, and I guess the 12-2?

If you are in cook county you will have wire in conduit.

12-2 is a romex/non metallic cable designation.
donste2010 likes this.
Erico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:49 AM   #10

Thumbs up

Thanks!

Yeah it's wire in conduit...

Old 04-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2

depends on what your doing, if there will be plumbing and electrical work I would get a permit, they can still do hack work but for the most part the inspector will be inspecting they're work, the best thing is get a good contractor ask around and get referrals
donste2010 likes this.
ktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 5,774

With today's computers to track everything any future buyer or insurance inspection can easily pull up all permits issued. if they know you did a remodel and didn't pull a permit then they have you at a disadvantage. Pull the permits and pick a contractor who advises such.

in addition, have ALL contractors who will work on your home supply you with a certificate of insurance. this certificate comes to you directly from their insurance company and states what coverage they have. Don't accept a piece of paper directly from them. In the event of a problem you will have the name and address of their insurance company. Also verify with your home owners insurance company that the insurance listed is sufficient and what they will cover.

Avoiding permits puts you in a hole where you can't complain to the town without risk of penalties. Keep the town on your side.

Bud
donste2010 likes this.

Last edited by Bud9051; 04-11-2017 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Bud9051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement