Bathroom Remodel - General Questions - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 102

Bathroom Remodel - General Questions

I am starting a full remodel on my master bathroom. With some help from you guys, I was able to completely remodel my 2nd bathroom myself about 9 months ago which well exceeded my expectations. I've included a picture of it in my attachments.

I have learned a lot from the previous remodel and should not have as many questions this time around. However, my previous bathroom remodel, I only had a stand up shower. This time, I have a bathtub with shower and this has raised a few questions.

First, a general rundown on the project. House built in 1964, brick home in the Detroit suburbs. Subfloor is wood slats, and the subfloor itself is solid. There is no water damage under the bathtub and none visible from the basement. I plan on using 12x24 tiles in the shower and on the floor, but that's not set in stone yet. I used 12x24s in my last bathroom and love them. Will be using hardie board for the shower walls and red guard as my membrane.

So, my first question is that the bathtub has about 1 inch of play between the walls on the ends of the tub. Obviously, one wall will need to be built up with some extra CBU (I'll be using hardie board as I did in my last bathroom) and furring strips, but I was wondering if there would be any reason to choose one wall over the other to build up. Not sure if there'd be any benefit from moving to tub towards one wall and building up the other, or if this is just a dumb question to begin with.

Secondly, the wall with the shower fixtures themselves... I am debating on what I should do here. I'm not really wanting to tile on the other side of this wall, which is alongside the toilet, so I'll be doing drywall here. The "thin" side of this wall that faces away from the shower and towards the vanity is where I am debating whether to tile or drywall. For clarity, I am talking about the wall that will be built on the outside stud that's framing the wall holding the shower fixtures. If I tile this, bullnose would be too thin to span the width of this face of the wall. If I drywall it, I can just use bullnose tile along the edges of the wall with the shower fixtures and have a nice clean look. Otherwise, I guess I'd have to cut some tiles to fit along this wall and I'm concerned with how this will look alongside the tub. I just want to choose whatever is going to look normal to others, and not cause some issue I haven't thought of.

Third, still talking about that same thin wall facing away from the shower... I am trying to envision how the wall will look below the top of the tub, but no matter what it seems where the wall below the tub meets the wall above the top of the tub, there will be some difference in plane. This is tough to explain. Imagine I add a sheet of hardie on the wall with the shower fixtures (with some furring strips to get it over the tub flange). This board stops at the height of the tub. Right now the tub is even with the stud forming the outside edge of the shower fixture wall. Whether I tile or drywall the thin wall on outside edge of the shower fixture wall, the thickness of this board will make it so the tub is not even with the shower fixture wall when looking at the shower fixture wall from the other end of the tub. So what would I do with an extra 1/2 inch of drywall or CBU here? I can't tile it since it's so thin (wood look goofy I think), but this extra material would present itself on the shower fixture wall side, meaning it should be tiled like the rest of that wall. The only option I see is to build the wall out from the stud giving me more area to lay tiles that wouldn't be so small. But this would mean extending this little wall out into the bathroom a little which would serve no purpose other than to be in the way. Not much, but still don't really want to do it like that. I hope this is all making sense.

So I'll leave it at these questions for now. Thoughts, suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Remodel - General Questions-20160515_190031.jpg   Bathroom Remodel - General Questions-dsc08369.jpg   Bathroom Remodel - General Questions-dsc08372.jpg   Bathroom Remodel - General Questions-dsc08373.jpg  
MetalMan8008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 12:37 PM   #2

Re: Bathroom Remodel - General Questions

This picture should better illustrate my 3rd question. I just laid these piece of hardie in place for the photo. You can see that the thickness of the hardie + tile (or just drywall) compared to the position of the tub would mean this is too large a area to just caulk, and too small an area to tile. What would you do with this?
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Remodel - General Questions-20170110_133118.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #3

And here's another picture that illustrates my first question a little better. This is the result of having that 1 inch gap between the tub and the wall opposite of the shower fixtures. The hardie board is placed up against the flange on the inside of the tub and as you can see, it's sticking out past the door trim. So it seems I should move the tub back the other way, and plan on furring out the studs more on the shower fixture wall instead. I think I'll do that unless there is some reason not to.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Remodel - General Questions-20170110_141130.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2017, 04:03 PM   #4

Anyone??

Also, on the wall opposite the shower fixtures, the walls are not plumb. I've pushed the tub up against this wall, but the tub is only touching the wall/studs on the left/back side of the tub. On the right/front the wall needs to be furred with 2 1/4" furring strips so that the hardie board will overlap the tub flange, whereas it's fine on the left/back side with one 1/4 furring strip. This creates a problem where the tile meets the bathroom door molding, because I need to use 2 1/4" furring strips to have the one side of the hardie board overlap the tub flange. This means with the tile on, it will probably stick out past the door molding a little. Worse, above the door where the hardie baord meets the drywall, these two pieces will have a difference of a about 3/4"+. I don't know what to do about this. Please, any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Remodel - General Questions-20170113_164607.jpg   Bathroom Remodel - General Questions-20170113_164939.jpg   Bathroom Remodel - General Questions-20170113_165003.jpg  
Old 01-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Holy cow there, you're more likely to get help if you asked just a few questions at a time. This way it looks as if you have no clue at all and need more help than we can offer without being there.

Looks like you removed a mud job from the walls. Standard tub are 30" wide and the alcove is usually 32". (pic 4 & 5) Is yours different?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,744

Re 'too small an area to tile', you could move the jog up a few inches and for a shelf use a long ceramic or stone baseboard shape. Make sure you give it a few degrees of slope so it drains. In a tub-shower, there's never enough places to put stuff like the shampoo bottle etc.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Chuck, what are you looking at? I'm pretty sure he's referring to pic #5 which is the vertical edge of the tub. Are you using a phone?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Looks like you removed a mud job from the walls. Standard tub are 30" wide and the alcove is usually 32". (pic 4 & 5) Is yours different?

Jaz
Yes, the walls were an old mud job. This is a standard 60x30 tub. The alcove is NOT 32 inches wide though, it's 30 inches wide and fits the tub perfectly as far as width goes.

Also to add, this used to be a tub only. The wall with the tub spout used to only be half as high as it is now. The previous homeowner extended this wall to the ceiling and turned this into a shower. It was meant to be temporary though, as there was drywall with some sections of some type of wall that I'm not sure of the type. Picture attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post
Re 'too small an area to tile', you could move the jog up a few inches and for a shelf use a long ceramic or stone baseboard shape. Make sure you give it a few degrees of slope so it drains. In a tub-shower, there's never enough places to put stuff like the shampoo bottle etc.
I'm not sure I follow you on this. But as far as having room to put stuff, I've already built a recessed niche in the wall to take care of that.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Remodel - General Questions-20170101_163405.jpg  
Old 01-14-2017, 10:03 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,744

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Chuck, what are you looking at? I'm pretty sure he's referring to pic #5 which is the vertical edge of the tub. Are you using a phone?

Jaz
I was looking at post #1, pic #3, where there's a gap to be filled between the right top side of the tub and the wall. After putting in whatever wall material, there may still be a gap.
ChuckF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #10

Regarding post #4, the only option I can think of is to cut out a notch in the stud that butts up to the tub in the corner so that the flange can be recessed into the stud a little, allowing the front side of the tub to actually touch that stud. This wouldn't fix the issue with it not being plumb, but it should allow me to put the hardie board up and reduce the height difference between the hardie and drywall joint, and have my tile not stick out past the door molding.

This would be mean the wall with the shower fixtures would need to be built up even more though. As it is right now, I need to use a 1/4" furring strip + 1 sheet of .42" hardie board just to get the wall to overlap the tub flange on this wall. I'd still need to put another layer of hardie up over this for the actual tiling surface and that's before notching that stud and recessing the tub into the wall. I don't want to do this, but don't have any other ideas.

Last edited by MetalMan8008; 01-14-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #11

I took down my hardie board, took the tub out again, and notched the damn stud. Had to build up the opposite wall 1 1/4 inches. Got it in there though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement