Bathroom Remodel-Clawfoot Tub & New Floor - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By joecaption
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Guap0_
  • 1 Post By DR P
  • 1 Post By LadeeDIY
  • 1 Post By Woodlandone

Old 03-12-2018, 04:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 136

Bathroom Remodel-Clawfoot Tub & New Floor

Hi, I have the original clawfoot tub that came with my 1911-built home. I want to keep it. I want to replace the ugly linoleum below it.

I have had a few handyman/contractors tell me they have to remove all the attached plumbing and then move the tub out of the bathroom into the adjoining room. To just move the thing and move it back I have been quoted an average of $2K - $3K. This does not count putting in updated flooring. I think the contractors are trying to do busy work here.

My neighbor installed new flooring under her clawfoot 10 years ago. Her contractor found to lift the tub a few inches off the floor. It never left the bathroom. Then, he installed the new flooring. My neighbor was surprised I was being told the tub had to go through this difficult process. Her contractor retired.

Has anyone had experience with putting new flooring under a clawfoot tub? Was the neighbor's old contractor doing it the right way? Thank you!!
LadeeDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 05:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,884

Re: Bathroom Remodel-Clawfoot Tub & New Floor

There's no way to remove the old flooring without relocating the old tub.
No way should it cost that much, get more quotes.
No location in your profile so no one is going to be able even guess local labor rates.
LadeeDIY likes this.
LadeeDIY (03-13-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 18,390

we could come up with all kinds of ideas to lift and support the tub but you would still have to find the guy that would work below that.
I would keep asking for quotes. It might be different contractor to lift or move the tub.
LadeeDIY likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
LadeeDIY (03-13-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Quote:
My neighbor installed new flooring under her clawfoot 10 years ago. Her contractor found to lift the tub a few inches off the floor. It never left the bathroom.
Use her contractor, if he is still alive, poor guy. I remember those tubs in Brooklyn. Even if you can find 2 guys to lift that tub while someone else replaces the floor, you still have to disconnect the plumbing. Do you have a chain toilet too?
LadeeDIY likes this.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guap0_ For This Useful Post:
LadeeDIY (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #5
Peace be with you

Rewards Points: 1,860

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadeeDIY View Post
Hi, I have the original clawfoot tub that came with my 1911-built home. I want to keep it. I want to replace the ugly linoleum below it.

I have had a few handyman/contractors tell me they have to remove all the attached plumbing and then move the tub out of the bathroom into the adjoining room. To just move the thing and move it back I have been quoted an average of $2K - $3K. This does not count putting in updated flooring. I think the contractors are trying to do busy work here.

My neighbor installed new flooring under her clawfoot 10 years ago. Her contractor found to lift the tub a few inches off the floor. It never left the bathroom. Then, he installed the new flooring. My neighbor was surprised I was being told the tub had to go through this difficult process. Her contractor retired.

Has anyone had experience with putting new flooring under a clawfoot tub? Was the neighbor's old contractor doing it the right way? Thank you!!
done right depends on thickness of new flooring... better question for neighbor is: was their toilet removed to install new floor and was pedestal sink also removed for the new floor?

in effect what contractors are telling you is they should be hiring a licensed plumber to remove & re-attach all your plumbing (less cabinet style vanity) in order to install new flooring...

what type flooring are you going to install?

Peace
LadeeDIY likes this.
My comments towards your questions & concerns are based on my work history, knowledge, & past experiences; they are my opinions given freely in hopes they truly help/bless U. That said, if U don't consult with & or hire a licensed professional locally, then please don't blame me when You DIY... Bottom line - Safety 1st & Always; got that???
DR P is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DR P For This Useful Post:
LadeeDIY (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 12:18 AM   #6

SF Bay Area is where I am. It is a very hot market now...so much remodeling going on and contractors charging top dollar. And then some.

No old chain toilet and no old pedestal sink. ha ha. It's just the tub that is old! I have a plumber coming in a few days for something else. I'll ask him how much he charges to disconnect and reattach plumbing to a clawfoot. He may know ppl who move them.

Not sure what kind of flooring yet. I have to make sure it can withstand the weight of the cast iron tub. I know certain types of tile can crack.

Thank you for all your answers. It was a bit frustrating to be at a standstill with this.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 26

No way I'd consider not moving the tub out of the room. Any price for working around the tub will take much longer than working in a clear area. Either way you will need to disconnect the plumbing. You may (personally, you) be able to get the tub disconnected and then hire two movers to simply carry the tub to the next room. Once the tiler gets the floor done, have the plumber who reconnects the tub to bring it into the room. Or re-hire the movers.
I know you are in the SF area, but $2-$3K for just moving the tub would only take an experienced plumber and two burly helpers 1 hour, max. It sounds like the price you were quoted was a PITA price. The job is seen by the crew as a pain in the ____ and they don't want to say they "won't do it", they want you to say you don't want them to do it.
LadeeDIY likes this.
Woodlandone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodlandone For This Useful Post:
LadeeDIY (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #8

Going to save up to do a bathroom remodel. In the future, I will get rid of the old clawfoot tub and replace it with a modern, regular tub. If I ever want to change the flooring it will no longer be a PITA then. Thx!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bathroom , clawfoot tub , new flooring