Bathroom Framing With Metal Studs???? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2018, 12:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

bathroom framing with metal studs????

I live in south florida house is made of block. redoing the bathroom and two of the walls will be block, i would like to use 20gauge metal studs to frame it out to make it easier (at least i think this would be easier), but not sure if it's ok to hang du rock, thin set and tile on the metal studs or if this would be too heavy. I planned to secure the studs to the ceiling/floor and use clips or metal scraps to secure from stud to wall as well. Anybody done this? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks
tryingmybest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2018, 05:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 30

Re: bathroom framing with metal studs????

I frame with 20g studs all the time. Keep in mind that material finishes on a wall assembly create a downward load, towards the floor. There’s not so much of a concern of the finishes pulling away (laterally), as long as fasteners are installed properly and the correct fasteners are used.

There’s a few things you could do, if you would like to strengthen the assembly such as frame 12” OC or use heavier studs. 2x6 studs would also have less deflection than a 2x4.
NEPA Remodeling is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NEPA Remodeling For This Useful Post:
tryingmybest (03-05-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bathroom , framing , metal studs