Bathroom Fan Replacement Problems - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 160

Bathroom fan replacement problems

Replaced a fan in my main bath and vented it out the roof (used to vent into the attic).

Thought I'd check the fan in my master bath and got a few surprises.

- Original housing present with new fan purchased and butchered to make fit.
- Inside of housing covered with brown fur (I'm guessing mold?)
- Looks to be vented to the soffits

So, would like to replace but have a problem. The fan is about 6" off the outside wall, so it's extremely close to the eaves. Plus the skylight from the main bath is close by, so I don't think I would be able to access it in the attic.

Any ideas? In cutting a hole in the roof for a bath vent, can fit one arm in, could maybe do some work that way with someone else inside the bathroom? Or pull it out, patch and put a new fan in the wall instead?
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 12:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

I'd go for the roof vent. You will have to change the wiring, if you go for the wall.
I just tore out an old original in a very tight space, myself. Not fun, but well worth it.
Tudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 12:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I'd go for the roof vent. You will have to change the wiring, if you go for the wall.
I just tore out an old original in a very tight space, myself. Not fun, but well worth it.
Tudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

One option is to install a negative pressure ("pull") fan like the Fantech products, you can usually just gut the old fan housing, keep the grill, and all you have to route through to the old fan housing is a duct:

I have three of these installed at my house, with either two or three intakes in each bathroom.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 160

Main problem is, I can't get at the existing fan from the attic. I could cut the old one out, but wouldn't be able to get at it to run the 4" ducting
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:04 PM   #6
Chicago, IL

Fantech also makes units which mount on an exterior wall and which can accept an exiting exhaust duct.

It's usually not as easy to get power to these as to attic mounted fans however.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Old 11-14-2010, 05:23 PM   #7
Chicago, IL

BTW, this upgrade kit will fit some Broan, Nautilus and NuTone fans:

http://www.broan.com/display/router....oductID=100402
Sponsored Links
Advertisement