Bathroom Fan Installation, Bring To Studs? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 396

bathroom fan installation, bring to studs?

I'm remodeling my master bathroom and I'm at the point where I need to put the bathroom fan in. I have the panasonic overhead whisper variety, and I did one in a guest bathroom where I had access to the overhead and I wasn't removing drywall.

On this one, I won't be able to be access to the joists to secure the unit without pulling down a lot of drywall. I'm willing to pull down the drywall and mount the unit direct to the joists and drywall back over on top of the fan with the hole cut for it to be used and I think the grill mount will handle the 1/2 of drywall, I just want to make sure it won't cause any problems.

Is this the correct way to do it?

Thanks!
MLMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #2
Special User

Rewards Points: 1,230

I would cut a square hole right next to a ceiling joist, just large enough to pass the body of the fan through but not the flange. After securing the electrical and ductwork to the fan, slide into the hole and secure one flange to the joist through the drywall, and then secure the other three flanges to the drywall with drywall anchors.
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,698

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylernt View Post
slide into the hole and secure one flange to the joist through the drywall, and then secure the other three flanges to the drywall with drywall anchors.
Hmmm, not crazy about that idea. The unit really should be secured to the joist from the side. The fan is going to have some vibration, you want it to be solid. I'd do it right, myself.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (06-24-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2015, 11:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 184

The grill will handle the 1/2 of drywall, though technically flange needs to be sealed to the drywall ( caulking ) to meet title 24 requirements ( In CA at least as I have had inspectors request this ), for new construction rough in, though I have roughed them in from the bottom before ( remodel work and no attic access ), hitting at least one ceiling joists and for the other 2 sides ( you can't secure to the 4th side since that is where the vent will be ) I use 1x4 pine screwed into the opening edge ( I cut the opening 10 1/2" x 10 1/2" ), with the drywall screws ( fine threaded ) just inside of the area where the grill will cover. The good thing about Panasonics, is they are light, and they do not vibrate, so I do not worry about them coming loose.
Attached Thumbnails
bathroom fan installation, bring to studs?-old-fan-removed.jpg   bathroom fan installation, bring to studs?-hole-panasonic-fan.jpg   bathroom fan installation, bring to studs?-fan-base-secured.jpg   bathroom fan installation, bring to studs?-fan-installed.jpg   bathroom fan installation, bring to studs?-cover-installed.jpg  

intelpcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to intelpcguy For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (06-24-2015), tylernt (06-07-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 03:07 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2

Good and interesting topic which you discuss.Bath Fan installation is an easy project you can complete in one day Bath fans are essential for removing moisture, heat and odors from the bathroom.This project guide illustrates the basic steps required for the installation of a new bath ventilation system. When installing your new bath fan kit be sure to following the manufactures instructions.
1.Cut The Hole
2.Attach Fan And Block Off Insulation
3.Cut Hole In The Roof
4.Cut Away Shingles
5.Install The Roof Vent
6.Connect The Duct work
7.Wire The Fan
8.Wire The Switch

BRL, Inc Buildi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 06:18 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6

Thank you for sharing this. I was also looking for the same.
fay34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:07 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,458

I haven't used panasonic, but broan with similar big box fans. What I did was drill new holes in the box so that the box will hang loosely on screws which I drove into the joists. I think I used long drywall screws with about 1/8" shank and min 1" into the joists. Loose box had the lowest noise and vibration noise. Panasonic touching the joist may be different, but other brands became noisy later.
carpdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement