Bathroom Demo And Functionality Of Tub And Water Service During Remodel - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

Bathroom demo and functionality of tub and water service during remodel

Hello,
We will be doing a bathroom remodel this weekend where we are going to start to demo the shower tile and surround this weekend.

I was wondering while we are doing this if there is a way to keep the bath faucet available for the week to have service to turn the water on and fill the tub for bathing since we only have one bathroom.

We are going to be taking down the tile and the old backer board and putting new backer backer board up this weekend and then tiling through the week.

Any advice would be appreciated.
jcjst21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 388

Re: Bathroom demo and functionality of tub and water service during remodel

yes, you can still use the tub. Faucet not needed, just figure out how to turn on the valves/mixing valve, and you'll be good.

I'd look at getting a month long gym membership nearby to take shower at. It sounds good in practice, but it slows you down trying to always clean and work in an area you are trying to keep functional. I also don't know this for sure, but it seems like the projects where people try to keep things semi-functional get to a "good enough" state, and then they never finish a bunch of the small details. that may just be homeowner projects in general....JMO.
1acre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2016, 03:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 30

thanks for you help.
I actually do have a membership and intend on doing that but others in my household do not...it should just be through the week while we tile
jcjst21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2016, 08:00 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 8

Yes, you can still use the tub. If your faucet have two valves, one is for hot and the other for cold. It's a good idea to install a Stop Valve so that you can stop the flow quickly in case of emergency. Also you can use faucet till the end of the work.
larryeiteljorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,438

This may be little late, but for others as well.
Tiling should not end with dry grout. I learned it this way: grout is treated like concrete driveway. It should be wetted down as it cures. I let the grout wet cure for a day or two. Then 2-3 days for the dry out. Then caulk the wall to tub/base joint. 2 days or more for caulk to cure. Then apply grout sealer twice. All of this leaves the grout that much stronger and resistant to mildewing. 10+ yrs and the wall grout was fairly clean. Had to redo the tub joint that I originally messed up and left too wide. Acrylic jet tub with side cleats and cement bedding. I think the acrylic frame flexed enough to break the grout there.
Only other time when old grout looked as strong as new is when wall tiles were stuck to masonary bedding.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement