Bath Vanity Irregular Size - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bath vanity irregular size

Hello everyone,

New to the forum but not new to home improvement projects.
I have a bathroom that I plan to redo in the next few months. However the opening for my vanity is 41 7/8" which doesn't match standard sizes of 36" and 48". Without having to spend a fortune and order a custom vanity does anyone have a clever idea to make a 36" fit and look nice?

I also have the option of removing a wall and pushing it 6" back into a closet so it's a perfect for a 48". Just not sure how much work this will take and if it's worth it or not.

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Travisb6989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2014, 07:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 105

A picture of the space would be helpful. Hard to come up with ideas without having an idea of what the space looks like.
MaineLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 135

Remember, a 36"vanity will have a 37"vanity top and a 48" vanity will have a 49" top on it. Not sure why it is done this way, but i ran into a similar issue in my half bath. It was 35 3/4" wide. In my case, I ended up buying a 36" vanity, removed the front, trimmed it, then built the structure behind it by hand since mine was surrounded on 3 sides. For my top, I picked up a clearance cultured marble top that was 42" and cut it down to what I needed.

If you have 3 sides to work with, you could do what the Previous owner of my place did, and install board stained the same color as the vanity on either side of it, then get the proper sides top for the space. The PO did not buy the right size top, insted opting to use the standard top from the basic 30"vanity, then install PVC boards on the sides to fill the space and caulked the gap. An option for you, but it doesn't look great.
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Is the vanity 'trapped' in an alcove?

Most kitchen cabinet companies have matching vanity cabinets--in a wide variate of widths and depths--along with filler pieces to accommodate odd sized openings.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:57 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisb6989 View Post
Hello everyone,

New to the forum but not new to home improvement projects.
I have a bathroom that I plan to redo in the next few months. However the opening for my vanity is 41 7/8" which doesn't match standard sizes of 36" and 48". Without having to spend a fortune and order a custom vanity does anyone have a clever idea to make a 36" fit and look nice?

I also have the option of removing a wall and pushing it 6" back into a closet so it's a perfect for a 48". Just not sure how much work this will take and if it's worth it or not.

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
What do you intend to use for a vanity top?

Jimmyfloyd has the proper idea. Use a filler on the cabinet side to extend the cabinet to the wall or use two fillers one on either side for balance, then fit a vanity top to fill the entire opening.

If you start moving walls you may open a bag of worms you won't want to deal with.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,252

Granite? Yea, it's more, but you can get an exact fit.

I would at least go to a couple of places and ask. They might have some scrap laying around for the cheap.

Then just make your lower cabinet.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Home centers sell granite vanity slabs these days. Some have sinks already joined to them. Sizing would require some special tools but not a major deal.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,108

maybe I'm missing it but don't they make 42" vanity cabinets?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:09 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,438

Ikea has odd sizes. But I think its sinks are neither glazed nor natural stones.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 08:25 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
maybe I'm missing it but don't they make 42" vanity cabinets?
They do, but most have a 1/2" overhang on the sides, which brings it to 43". That's not to say that all of them do, but the sub-$500 ones I was looking at all had the overhang.

PDF on measuring for a custom one that talks of the overhang.

http://www.stpaulhomeproducts.com/Me...nity%20top.pdf
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement