Bath Tub Rough Opening - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2018, 01:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 28

Bath Tub Rough Opening

I am planning on remodeling my bathroom, part of which includes pushing back my tub into the closet on the other side of the wall. The issue I am running into is that the new tub would be an irregular size. The rough opening for the new tub (stud to stud) would be 52 3/4", just shy of a standard size of 54.

So two questions...

1) Is there anyway to have a 54" tub fit? Maybe by notching out the studs a bit to allow it to fit? (I feel like this would be a hack, and not right)

2) Can anyone recommend a site where I could purchase a custom length tub?

Thanks in advance!
Handyman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Bath Tub Rough Opening

What about a mobile home tub?
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2018, 03:34 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 8

Its better to go for a local bathtubs contractor to get the right fit instead of searching online as your fit was not a regular one.
larryeiteljorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2018, 07:16 AM   #4

Thanks for the tips. I think what I'm going to do is go for a 4' tub and then make a small ledge/shelf at the back to make up for the extra space. Will add a nice little detail and a place for some soap and shampoo.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman25 View Post
Thanks for the tips. I think what I'm going to do is go for a 4' tub and then make a small ledge/shelf at the back to make up for the extra space. Will add a nice little detail and a place for some soap and shampoo.
Just make sure you waterproof the horizontal surface before tile. Especially if this is a shower/tub set up.

I like a liquid applied membrane for all the walls. But you have to be sure to treat the horizontal plane at the very least
Erico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 03:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erico View Post
Quote:
Just make sure you waterproof the horizontal surface before tile. Especially if this is a shower/tub set up.

I like a liquid applied membrane for all the walls. But you have to be sure to treat the horizontal plane at the very least

Absolutely. Was planning on just applying to seams and horizontal surfaces. Would you recommend they whole wall?
Old 03-24-2018, 10:55 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 382

Quote:
Absolutely. Was planning on just applying to seams and horizontal surfaces. Would you recommend they whole wall?
Assuming you are using concrete board?

I never understood doing just the seams. If the board is properly spaced, taped with alkaline resistant mesh tape, and filled with thinset, sealing the seams seams useless. The vertical plane's will shed water in the corners just like the walls - if done correctly. The horizontals MUST be sealed regardless.

Now if you are asking if I would do the walls? Yes. I like to do the walls. Keep the moisture/vapor in the shower and not wicking through to the plastic behind the board. You skip the plastic behind if sealing.

Also, a sealed wall of concrete board is easier to tile. The board won't suck your thinset dry prematurely. Better to dry/cure slower and more working time on the wall.

Just make sure you follow manufacturer's instructions for application. I use redgard and they recommend making a 4 parts water to 1 part redgard as a sealer coat applied by brush. I used to just wet the board down prior to application but I got burned on a floor. Now I mix a primer coat
Erico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement